This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Store data with a custom script?

I need to know if there's a way to run a script (VB) from NPM and store the value that is returned in the database for graphing. The script performs a SNMP query and converts the value returned to a more graph frinedly value. Unfortunately, I don't believe I can use the "transform results" functionality of the device poller so I must find a way to use the script to convert the data.

NPM 9.5

• Hi,

NPM does not provide this functionality. The APM module allows you to execute VB Script and then graphs the results automatically.

You need for this to write a script and in compliance with the requirements on the Windows Script Monitor.

Creating a Windows Script monitor.

If you do not have APM, a solution would be to run the Net-SNMP agent on the monitored server and use the Extend feature that executes scripts and then make the results available in a dedicated MIB. You can then create your UnDPs and graph the results in the web console.

See the following post for further links:

HTH,

Yann

• Thank you for the reply. We do have APM but I don't believe it will work for my needs since the devices I'm querying are not servers. I was hoping to be able to run the script on the poller, not on the managed node. We currently do this with What's Up Gold but I'm trying to find a way to migrate this functionality to Orion.

• Windows Script Monitors in APM execute the script on the Orion server itself.

By comparison, Linux Script Monitor scp the script to the remote server and then run it.

So the APM option could still work.