This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Stopping Node Reboot alerts from auto clearing?

FormerMember
FormerMember

Anyone got a way that seems to work.  Still scratching my head.  We need to touch base with customers when we didn't plan a reboot. 

• Just a thought here, but:

1. Trigger Condition (LastReboot has changed)
    2. Trigger Action (call a vbscript or external application to update the 'Recently_Rebooted' yes/no custom property to 'Yes' for that node).
    3. Reset Condition ('Recently_Rebooted' is equal to 'No')
    Have your tech flip the 'Recently_Rebooted' custom property to 'No' and the alert will clear on the next evaluation.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mrxinu

That would be fine if I had time and tools to code.  Set it to clear when the last reboot is equal to a date a decade in the past.  Hopefully one of our misbehaving 6500's will get a good bounce this weekend for a test.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That didn't work either and there is something wrong with they way this alert is handled.  I have a reset action to send an email when the reset happens.  No Email!

• Would it not be possible to just use an email alert to notify you of reboots and then you have a list in your email of customers that you need to get back to?  If you have a ticketing system you could have Orion open tickets in your ticketing system also for this.

As far as your alert that isn't working is concerned, if you could post a screen shot of it I am sure somebody could help you resolve the problem you are having with it.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to byrona

Not possible, tickets may not be auto opened, and remote NOC(s) and Operations use Consoles and Dashboarding for status.  It also must be logged and retained as part of our ISO27001 Cert.

• Hrm... okay, back to the ole drawing board...

In your Events view you can filter on only Node Rebooted events, will this satisfy your requriement?

The problem with using the All Triggered Alerts element for this is that it's designed to inform you of all "Active" alerts.  Nodes rebooting is something that happens and then is done and therefore no longer active.

At one point I suggested to SolarWinds that they create a consolidated "Alarm" view which would basically be a view of all things that I care to know about.  Then in every sub-subsystem I would have an Alert Action option to send an Alarm into my Alarm view.  It would support the ability to acknowledge the alarms as well as write notes on them.  I think this would also be a good feature to satisfy your needs.

I managed our NOC here for several years so I understand the desire to do everything via a NMS dashboard.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to byrona

That's why I say the Alert has some special processing.  It ignores the reset action.  Yes, it will require a workaround like many other things.