This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Source port for SNMP queries

Hi

Does anyone know what range of source ports would be used when performing an SNMP query from a NPM 10.x server?

I've got a strange situation, regarding monitoring ServiceGuard packages, which means I need to setup a firewall rule based on source port.

My destination is the standard 161/udp port, but I can't find any reference to what the source port from the Windows 2008 Orion server would be.

At the moment, I can only imagine that is would be a high port, >1024, but I'd like to restrict that a little if possible!

TIA

• Just had a quick look at my NetFlow stats for my NPM server, and you're right in that it uses a "Random High Port". Doesn't give any actual port numbers to me, so I can't say what range.

I doubt there'd be an easy way to restrict it to certain ports without potentially re-writing parts of SolarWinds or even SNMP itself!

• Darn it... I was hoping that SW had opted for a smaller range of high ports.

Can someone at SW clarify if Orion uses anything random above 1024?