cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

Some help with wireless access points and MIB walks

Hi there,

bit of a long shot, but if anyone can help i would appreciate it. We use unifi wireless APs in all of our sites, and I would really like to use the wireless heatmaps, and be able to see who, and how many people are using our wireless networks via Solariwnds. Unfortunately - it doesn't look like Unifi have published their MIB - the APs have SNMP and are shown as wireless APs in solarwinds, and it displays the SSIDs of the networks - but no user information, range etc.

The APs are detected as Frogfoot Networks (from Vendor information - and i can find this: FROGFOOT-RESOURCES-MIB - Ubiquiti Wiki) so was wondering if there is a way to find out if there are any MIBs in the current DB that i could use - and how i would go about creating a UDP for these? or if it is even possible?

Any information or help would be great!

Thanks

Ian

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MVP
MVP

Recommend setting this up via Universal Device Poller.  All you should need is the OID.  I believe the MIB names are occasionally updated in newer versions of the product (or perhaps via the downloadable MIBs.cfg file), but in any case with the OID you should have all you need.  You can type in the OID manually when creating the UDP.

Might see useful information here:  Video Tutorial: Universal Device Poller in Orion NPM - Videos | SolarWinds

0 Kudos

Yeah thats what i thought-  but i have no idea what the OID is.

0 Kudos

You can attempt a SNMP Walk I believe their is a tool in the Bin folder of Orion. All you need is the IP address of the target device and the SNMP community/authentication.

It will spit out a text file with all the OIDs and returned values. You can use this to either find it in the Universal Poller App, Google for a MIB, or hunt and peck through it until you figure out where the values are that your need.

If you are able to get the MIB from the vendor, and it is not already in Orion, you can submit it a ticket with the MIB, and it will be part of a future MIB database you can download from the customer portal.

Now be prepared, getting the correct OID is usually half the battle, you may need to add a transform to get the value you are expecting, and even then it may not be formatted in a why that is supported. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Nice one mate - thanks for the information. I'll give it a whirl!

0 Kudos

It's called SNMPWalk.exe I found mine under C:\Program Files (x86)\Solarwinds\Orion\

Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 6.01.00 AM.png

0 Kudos