cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Solarwinds is still not stable

Jump to solution

The other thread is closed so I figured I would start a new one I usually get more help here than actually contacting support.

So same issues as before but instead of the server not responding in 36 hours or so it took maybe a week but it is the SAME issues. 

1. Server stopped sending alerts out sometime around 11AM on the 4th.

2. Logged onto server and opened Orion service manager and both the module engine and the administration service were going back and forth between running and stopping. 

3. Orion could not connect to SQL

4.  I have some alerts that at are going out but not sure if they are legit or not. 

5. After the reboot I notice that a good chunk of my nodes interfaces are 'unknown' this looks like it fixes itself but again something else going on. 

I have applied the 'hotfix' that you all pushed out to try to fix this.

I have done the change from streaming to buffered

I have done the registry change for the ports

The only thing I have not done is revert the snap shots back to June 14th prior to the update so Solarwinds is stable again. 

At this point I am going to schedule a task in VM Ware to reboot the server every night.  That is pretty much the only way I will know Solarwinds will actually work. 

Thoughts?  serenaaLTeReGo

1 Solution
Product Manager
Product Manager

Orion Platform Hotfix 3 was released yesterday to address the ephemeral port exhaustion issue which is likely the cause of the issue you are experiencing.

View solution in original post

129 Replies

Thank you, martian monster​ for your response.

How about anyone else--some of the other "1%" that are stil having problems?  Still having unresolved upgrades/troubleshooting/problems associated with going to NPM 12.3 and its peers?

0 Kudos

We are still seeing some high CPU on our SQL server due to a built in query.  I have a couple of other open issues, but these may not be related to the upgrade.

John Handberg

Are you using SQL server 2016, or still using an earlier version?

The new version of NTA was designed to ultimately run on SQL 2016, although earlier SQL versions remain support if you select the right SQL option during the upgrade.

0 Kudos

For the time being, our Orion SQL server is still 2012 r2.  We know we will need to upgrade at some point.  I know this is on the DBAs radar, but I don't when they are thinking about that.

John Handberg
0 Kudos

Have you applied hotfix 6?

It is scheduled for our next maintenance window early next week.  We had previously applied a buddy drop, but if didn't have a large affect.

John Handberg
0 Kudos

What's the current status on all of the original problems?  Are any of them still unresolved, or is everything working well for everyone?

0 Kudos

My Lingering issues

1. When report writing I still can't search for items when creating the report.

2. Solarwinds is not clearing out JET.TMP files off the server.

3. Orion still occasionally gives me the 'server timed out error' when going between nodes in Orion. 

For 1 & 2 I am still trying to work with support but it continues to be a try this. Nope. Try this. Nope. Try this. nope. 

Other than that things seem stable and I am awaiting for everyone else to upgrade to the new versions and find all the issues before any kind of updates hit my system.  We would love to see the new Cisco ACI modules but we are waiting to see what breaks in these latest updates. 

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/people/martian%20monster  wrote:

My Lingering issues

1. When report writing I still can't search for items when creating the report.

2. Solarwinds is not clearing out JET.TMP files off the server.

3. Orion still occasionally gives me the 'server timed out error' when going between nodes in Orion. 

For 1 & 2 I am still trying to work with support but it continues to be a try this. Nope. Try this. Nope. Try this. nope. 

Other than that things seem stable and I am awaiting for everyone else to upgrade to the new versions and find all the issues before any kind of updates hit my system.  We would love to see the new Cisco ACI modules but we are waiting to see what breaks in these latest updates. 

Oh man I'm so happy to hear that other people are having problems with Solarwinds not clearing out JET.TMP files too.  I thought we were the only ones having that issue.  We've gotten to the point where afraid to call Solarwinds on Orion server issues like this because we always get a run around and our issues almost never get resolved.

I received another email from Support with more 'Try this and then try this and let us know'. I wonder if these people realize that not all of us just do Solarwinds and have a job we actually have to do.  Heck I even have sent emails to Tech Support feedback and someone calls and talks to me say they are going to do something and BLAMMO more emails from support on try this try that.  This is the last email I received from support -

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

Getting these emails from support is frustrating, but I do understand that they need to essentially start the troubleshooting process over after every hotfix is applied to your environment. It's definitely not a friendly process for the end user.

0 Kudos

Nope not at all. I have spoke to quite a few of the higher ups in the support and they all say really nice things but nothing really changes.  I think I have had some of these tickets open for at least a month maybe more at this point. 

0 Kudos
Level 10

I am still having issues after HF5. I had to reset to buffer from streamed that helped, but this morning the website crashed and had to reboot the server to fix it. Have a ticket open and sent them the logs. This is getting ridiculous that I have to monitor the monitoring system like this.... 

0 Kudos

Are you on Windows 2016?

We are migrating to Windows 2016 this week and I'm curious if people out there have more issues on 2016 ---VS--- 2012 R2.

Thanks

0 Kudos

hpstech​ I migrated all of my Solarwinds installation (SQL, Orion, DPA) servers all Server 2016 last October and they have been rock solid up until I updated to Orion 2018.2 - but other than the updates causing problems the servers have been rock solid.

I am still on 2012R2, we didn't have 2016 licences yet when 2008R2 went unsupported. Current Case # - 00182363 After Applying HF5 Orion keeps crashing.

0 Kudos
Level 13

For what it's worth: I had a "continual system instability" issue with Orion years ago and just kept chasing it with support calls and reboots.  I was on Win 2008 and the OS/Orion had had *many* installs, upgrades, and other software installed/removed on it over the years, including numerous Orion upgrades from the original POC with a mysql? DB.  I finally had a fresh new VM built (with Win 2012 R2) and reinstalled the *same* version of Orion I had the issues with (so I could cut back over to the old system easily, and rule out the OS as a cause if instability persisted), and all my stability problems vanished.  I (and support) never found out what was causing it (maybe it was an OS issue or an Orion misconconfigured or corrupted "something" not easily found but very unique to my old environment)  I just wrote it off as "something, somewhere, in a small and dark place, was not right" and started fresh as I had nowhere else to turn.

Last October I moved all of our Solarwinds servers to Server 2016 and everything ran fine until I updated things in June.  So my problems are Solarwinds update related they started when I upgraded to Orion 2018.2.  If it was a weird server thing that has plagued us for quite some time I could see moving the install but this is tied to the update. 

0 Kudos
Level 10

I updated to HF5 on Friday, The system crashed with a SQL error on Saturday like it did before HF3. I rebooted the system this morning and will keep track of stability this week. This is getting really annoying....

0 Kudos

I updated to HF 5 yesterday to hopefully take care of some Temp JET files.  Other than I have a few other odd issues I am working through support with.

0 Kudos