cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Solarwinds and NetQoS

FYI - I am not sure if this is old news or not, but I just worked with a support rep at NetQos about issues I had with it. While working on the issue, we were discussing new releases comming soon and it appears within this year there will be an Add-On to NetQos that will integrate Solarwinds Orion w/it.

Anyone else here use NetQos?
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Level 14

Be sure to back up the original file first, in case your changes don't quite make the XML parser happy...

Thanks,
Gre

0 Kudos
Level 14

There is a way to integrate any application with Orion 7.6 via the right click menu...

Locate the SWToolset.MenuOptions (XML) file in <drive>\Program Files\Solarwinds\Common folder, adding your custom menu option tag (sample below), and inserting the execute string for the program you would like to run.

Device specific data such as IP, Hostname, Interface Name, Index, and Community String can be automagically inserted into the command line with the use of macros.

${TARGET} = IP or hostname (prefrence to IP)
${IP} = IP
${HOSTNAME} = Hostname
${QUOTE} = "
${COMMUNITY}, ${IFNAME}, ${IFINDEX}

<MenuOption Visible="TRUE" Title="My Custom menu option" BeginGroup="FALSE" HasSubMenu="FALSE" ExecString="iexplore http://www.solarwinds.net" Extra="" Parent="" Required="0" Icon=""/>

When you right click a label which represents a real object in Orion, a context menu will pop-up and your newly added menu option should be there.

NOTE: Browser Integration (Right Click) will only work in IE, set for Downloading and Running of signed ActiveX Controls to enable or Prompt.

Hope this helps,
Greg
0 Kudos

For those modifying the SwToolset.MenuOptions file to customize your Orion/Toolset integration menu the file you will want to edit now is at:

<LocalApplicationData>\SolarWinds\ToolsetIntegrationTray\Menu.xml

Where <LocalApplicationData> = <ProfileFolder>\Local Settings\ Application Data

This is for the current method of Orion/Toolset integration which started with Toolset 10.6.

--HTH

Steve

0 Kudos
Level 15

I did some googling;

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-01,GGLD:en&q=netflow+reporting+software

This one looks promising - only around $10k US.

http://www.crannog-software.com/www-crannog-software-com/products.cfm?ProductID=2

Looks like it could be integrated with the Orion Web page.

There are a few others, but as BB says, not a huge selection.

-=Cheers=-
NG
0 Kudos
Level 12

quote:Originally posted by JMP

We are going to eval the NetQos Report Analyzer, but besides this product what else has anyone been testing out to do this type of reporting?

JMP...there really isn't much out int he Netflow collection space really. Even Cisco is using NetQoS' product.

BB
0 Kudos
Level 8

We are going to eval the NetQos Report Analyzer, but besides this product what else has anyone been testing out to do this type of reporting?
0 Kudos
Level 12

Thanks for the info charpham. I would think that development on this would be beneficial to both sides. NetQoS is one of the leaders in the Netflow space...even Cisco uses their product. I think this would be a big help to Solarwinds to get their product out to people that may no even know about them.
0 Kudos
Level 9

just an FYI: I too have been evaluating NetQoS Reporter Analyzer.. I inquired about the Solarwinds "plugin" and they have informed me that there has not been enough interest in this product so they will no longer be developing this product to plugin with Solarwinds
0 Kudos
Level 12

Guru...I too have finished an eval and your right...its an eye-opener. It's a good product and hopefully they will integrate nicely.

B
0 Kudos
Level 15

I have just finished an eval of NetQos Reporter/Analyzer. It's a great product as far as ease of deployment and generating meaningful reports. It really opens your eyes as to what is going on in your network, especially WAN links.

It seems like the following announcement was more PR than anything else;
http://www.netqos.com/news/press_releases/05-18-04.htm
I inquired with both NetQos & Solarwinds, as to the integration of this product in the Orion webpage, but was not given a definitive answer from either company.

It would be great to have the interface traffic protocol graphs displayed &/or linked in Orion. This would assist greatly in Network troubleshooting.

It appears that any intergration will have to be done by the customer themselves. If you have a web developer/ASP coder in your team, then this should not be too difficult.

-=Cheers=-
NG
0 Kudos
Level 7

I'm going to need to side with JMP on this one...that's a heck of a price tag...and I thought wheeling and dealing was required to get my SW installation.

// Ian Underwood - Service Management
// Level 3 Communications
0 Kudos
Level 12

My understanding that one can be called from the other. meaning if your in orion looking at a utilization there will be a link of some sort to NetQoS. The same would go for when you log into NetQoS you will see a link to go to Orion.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Looks like a great product, but ouch! that price tag.
0 Kudos
Level 7

In the integrations, though...whose front-end is it supposed to use?

// Ian Underwood - Service Management
// Level 3 Communications
0 Kudos
Level 12

We have brought in NetQoS and have been running a demo for about a week now. It is a very powerful tool to say the least. NetQoS is suppose to give us a demo of the integration in the near future.
0 Kudos
Level 7

/bump, just curious if there was any planned timeframe for this...

http://www.netqos.com/news/press_releases/05-18-04.htm
0 Kudos
Level 7

This sounds interesting. Are they planning to use Solarwinds as the collector of the info via the new MIB for netflow and then use their report analyser to display / analyse the info. If so this would be a very powerful feature.

I am particularly interested in how this is planned to work and what components would be needed to make it work.
0 Kudos
Level 12

We are looking to purchase the Report Analyzer product to report on NetFlow data. What sort of integration are they planning on doing??
0 Kudos
Level 9

Sounds great... I use NetQos for application monitoring and troubleshooting
0 Kudos