cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Solarwinds SMS Alerting

Can you use an alternative SMS application to send text alerts?  I only see the option to use NotePager.

13 Replies
Level 8

Has anyone tried Twilio?  I'm trying this now with an eval account.  I don't have it working yet but it works bu sending an HTTP post to an API URL https://api.twilio.com.

--Patrick

0 Kudos

There are also many tutorials how to integrate with Slack or other Push-Notification-Apps, i guess this should work similar with Twilio

0 Kudos
Level 9

Anyone else find good alternatives? Ive been working with the pagegate admins for a couple of weeks, and we cant seem to get a cell router using gsm-at-ip working to send text messages reliably.

0 Kudos

or you just sign up for a company that send texts that you send by email. We use this for all sorts of things, Service Desk send management p1 info,

Solarwinds sends alerts to an email like 01234562789@sms.example.com then the company forwards to the mobile phone works really well and no integration needed.

We also do this with AppDynamics

0 Kudos

Yes, but what do you do when email is unavailable due to an outage?  It's hard to email an alert of any type if email (or Internet) is unavailable.  We need to alert at the most basic level.  SMS modem seems to be the best option without purchasing a POTS line for analog/digital modem.

Any suggestions on a preferred SMS modem vendor?

John L.

0 Kudos

We use a maestro GMS modem at several customers with our own program against that. Works perfect. You might also need a ethernet-to-serial box if you use a virtual server for orion, like a Moxa NPort.

0 Kudos

Not sure if its the best or the worst but we have been using a Sierra Wireless GL series device for a few years now with no issues. Gets better reception from within the server room than what my phone does around the office so not sure what that says!

AirLink / GL series

Definitely agree that using a simple onsite device with its own separate SMTP service is the way to go as it removes reliance on your internet connection and email service. We also have recently created a backup SMS alerting system since we had a failure with the software that uses the SMS modem. Now if the software errors it will send an email to a cloud SMS service which notifies us that the onsite SMS alerting is down

0 Kudos

This is also a valid option, yes. In some cases where you want to alert on the Internet-connection failing, it is best to have your own hardware box sitting on premise and alerting over that way.

I do agree, in 95% of your use-cases it is sufficient to purchase a service where you can send an email to.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

OpsGenie is another alternative:

SolarWinds Integration - OpsGenie

Cool, does it work like Prowl - iOS Push Notifications ? I did not see where to send an SMS? Is this configured in the OpsGenie "Dashboard" then?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Yes, that would be configured on the OpsGenie side:

Voice and SMS Notifications - OpsGenie

0 Kudos

you could use a "script" to trigger AT-commands on your GSM modem or trigger your SMS-App that is installed somewhere, this can be quite complicated to set up but it is possible.

You could also purchase a SMS-Gateway and send traps or SMTP-mails to that box and it will send out an SMS. I can point you to some vendors, just send me a PM.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos