This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds NAM migration

Hi Folks,

we are planning to migrate our Main poller, Additional web server and Database server to New server (different IP and Hostname).

our environment has (11 additional pollers (all in HA) + 1 Main poller + 1 Additional web server + 1 sql database server). we are only moving the MP, AWS and DB servers. All APs will remain same. 

Please suggest us the best approach to perform this migration (steps). Any proactive measures to be followed. 

Thanks,

Kaviarasu

• My suggestion is: get a solarwinds implementation partner involved. The environment seems a bit too large to rely on „migration-steps collected in a forum“.
    If you‘ve inherited the system and never upgraded it yourself, I strongly recommend get some help from experienced partners.
    Unfortunately I believe I am not located close to your region but there are very professional partners all around the globe.

Other than that, there are more ways to migrate a core, the DB and a Webserver. There are things that you need to get sorted out first

- can you have a longer downtime window, than just a few minutes / 1 hour? If yes, how long?
    - how big is the Database, and might it be worth cleaning some old records before moving the DB
    - will the IP addresses of the Core be changed and are the ACLs set that the new machines will reach the systems to be monitored/managed
    - are syslog and traps utilized and where are those sent to? Do you change this when you have a new core Poller?
    -Plan your Migration one Task at a time, not everything at the same time (I would start with the Database)
    - is the new DB Server reachable from your new machines?

• Hi,

Thanks for your queries. here is my comments. 

- we have 1 day downtime
    - DB size is around 500 GB
    - yes. all the devices are reachable to the New core IP. 
    - yes. SNMP port is allowed in firewall from the New Core IP. 
    - Yes. the new DB Server reachable from new machines.

• Couldn’t agree more with above comments. Here’s the documentation from SolarWinds in that respect. It’s a good jumping off point to get an idea of all the possible steps you may need to accomplish this to develop a plan.

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/orionplatform/Content/Migrate_SolarWinds_to_a_new_server_with_a_new_IP_and_hostname.htm

Good luck!