This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds Job Scheduler will not start

Anybody seen this? The Solarwinds Job scheduler has decided to stop working on our 9 Sp2 server.

It get this gobblydegook in the NPM.BusinessLayer.Log file...

2008-08-29 14:50:49,417 [7] DEBUG SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.NPMBusinessLayerPlugin - { Start entered
2008-08-29 14:50:49,464 [7] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SWEventLogging - NPM Service [SWORION01] Started
2008-08-29 14:50:50,308 [7] DEBUG SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper - SQL: INSERT INTO Events (EventTime, NetworkNode, NetObjectID, NetObjectType, EventType, Message, Acknowledged)
VALUES (GETDATE(), @NetworkNode, @NetObjectID, @NetObjectType, @EventType, @Message, 0) (@NetworkNode=0, @NetObjectID=0, @NetObjectType=, @EventType=500, @Message=NPM Service [SWORION01] Started)
2008-08-29 14:50:56,681 [7] DEBUG SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper - SQL: update Engines set BusinessLayerPort = @BusinessLayerPort where ServerName = @ServerName (@ServerName=SWORION01, @BusinessLayerPort=17777)
2008-08-29 14:50:56,744 [7] DEBUG SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper - SQL: SELECT EngineID, ServerName FROM Engines where ServerType not like '%Hot-Standby%'
2008-08-29 14:50:56,775 [7] INFO  SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.NPMBusinessLayerPlugin - Registering job engine SWORION01
2008-08-29 14:50:56,791 [7] DEBUG SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobScheduler - Channel created to net.pipe://localhost/solarwinds/jobengine/scheduler
2008-08-29 14:50:56,947 [7] WARN  SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobScheduler - ExecutionEngineExists: JobScheduler channel threw CommunicationException. Retries: 0
2008-08-29 14:50:56,947 [7] WARN  SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobScheduler - Job Scheduler Exception:
System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/solarwinds/jobengine/scheduler that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/solarwinds/jobengine/scheduler' could not be found on your local machine.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnectionInitiator.GetPipeName(Uri uri)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeConnectionPoolRegistry.NamedPipeConnectionPool.GetPoolKey(EndpointAddress address, Uri via)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationPool`2.TakeConnection(EndpointAddress address, Uri via, TimeSpan timeout, TKey& key)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.TakeConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.StreamedFramingRequestChannel.StreamedFramingRequest.SendRequest(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at SolarWinds.JobEngine.IJobScheduler.ExecutionEngineExists(Uri executionEngineUri)
   at SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobScheduler.<>c__DisplayClass1b.<ExecutionEngineExists>b__1a()
   at SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobScheduler.ExecuteJobSchedulerOperation[T](String operationName, JobSchedulerOperation`1 operation)
2008-08-29 14:50:57,947 [7] DEBUG SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobScheduler - Channel created to net.pipe://localhost/solarwinds/jobengine/scheduler
2008-08-29 14:50:57,994 [7] WARN  SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobScheduler - ExecutionEngineExists: JobScheduler channel threw CommunicationException. Retries: 1
2008-08-29 14:50:57,994 [7] WARN  SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobScheduler - Job Scheduler Exception:
System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/solarwinds/jobengine/scheduler that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/solarwinds/jobengine/scheduler' could not be found on your local machine.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

• You get this fixed?  if so, what did you do?

•  I'm having similar problems.  Similar messages in the logfile.   We installed 9.0SP2 for the first time maybe 2-3 weeks ago, everything worked for a week or two then died.  At that time they said that we had probably done the initiall install a bit wrong, had us uninstall everything and reinstall.  Its been working close to a week now - until this morning when it stopped working again...

Shipped them off some diagnostics, hopefully I won't have to reinstall everything every couple weeks!!  8-)

• I have a problem related to SolarWinds Orion Job Scheduler service too: "The SolarWinds Job Scheduler service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 20 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service."Related to this error, I have a  .NET Framework 2.0 error: "EventType clr20r3, P1 swjobschedulersvc.exe, P2 1.1.0.238, P3 486c94d4, P4 solarwinds.jobengine, P5 1.1.0.238, P6 486c94d1, P7 22b, P8 0, P9 system.io.filenotfoundexception, P10 NIL." On the SolarWinds server, I have installed .NET Framework 2.0 with SP1 and .NET Framework 3.0. I must metioned that I have only Orion v9.0 installed on this server.Can anyone help me out with this problem? Do you think that installing .NET Framework 3.5 will solve this problem? Thanks.
  • Orion 9.0 should have required you to install .net 3.5. Did it not?

• Hi,

I highly doubt that re-installing .Net 3.5  will have any effect on this particular issue. Can you go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\JobEngine\Logs, open the recent SolarWinds.SchedulingService_v1_1.txt file, look for the string "filenotfoundexception" in the file, and post the entire error message? It should state the filename of the file that cannot be found. 

Thanks,

-John

• Hello.

I am getting the same issue on version 9 SP2.  Here is what was in the log file:

2008-10-14 12:45:01,334 [5] FATAL SolarWinds.JobEngine.ServiceProcess.SolarWindsService - Unhandled exception caught
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.Broker.DistributionPolicyDAL.EnumeratePolicies()
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.Broker.DistributionPolicyStore.LoadPolicies()
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.Broker.DistributionPolicyStore..ctor(IDistributionPolicyDAL policyDAL)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.Scheduling.JobSchedulerFactory.Make()
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.Scheduling.SchedulerService..ctor()
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.Scheduling.SchedulerServiceApp.Start()
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.ServiceProcess.SolarWindsService.ServiceStart()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

• Hi,

Please try the following:

On the machine that's experiencing this issue, open the Services control panel, and stop the following services:
    SolarWinds Job Scheduler, SolarWinds Job Engine

Open Add/Remove Programs, and find an item titled "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition". Select the item, and click the 'Change' button. Run repair on this component. When it is repaired, start the services in this order: SolarWinds Job Engine, SolarWinds Job Scheduler.

Please let me know if this fixes it.

Thanks,

--John 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to johnz

Did that still no luck. some one told me @ solarwinds support to replace the something.SDF file. any one tried that ?

• Well.  I just upgraded to Orion 9.1, and it has resolved our issue and it seems much quicker.  *Thumbs Up*

• Did that still no luck. some one told me @ solarwinds support to replace the something.SDF file. any one tried that ?

Yes, that worked for me.  They had to send me the file though - it wasn't on my installation...