This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds Agents for Windows and Linux Gather System Resources

Is there a way to run a discovery on all of the systems that are running an agent and pull in all of the resources without providing SNMP or WMI creds?

I have created a discovery scope, selected the update agents, and selected the auto import of resources. It does not work, usually fails, if I do not add WMI creds for windows boxes or SNMP creds for Linux boxes. The agents were pushed out via Orion to the Windows boxes and out through a repository for the Linux nodes.

Message was edited by: David Tesdall Added some additional information

Still at a loss here. I have found some additional logs that pointed to a timeout issue. I upped the timeouts to the max on all of the queries but it still fails. If I remove the checkmark for the Agents and just put in WMI creds everything works fine. I just want to be able to scan the agents and pull in resources... what am I missing? There does not seem to be any errors in any logs to work off of. I have followed many documents and even opened a case with SolarWinds. I spoke with three different techs and none of them could find logs that showed any issues, I found those on my own.

I have followed the following articles and I am just really confused at the moment.

Check nodes polled by agents for changes

How the SolarWinds Orion Agent Functions on Windows OS - Monalytic

Poll devices with SolarWinds Orion agents

Linux Agents and "SolarWinds Orion agent for Linux provides a wide variety of templates"

Solarwinds Agent

Agents for Windows - Why is Agent-Initiated 'Recommended'?

SolarWinds Orion agent requirements

help?

Message was edited by: David Tesdall additional troubleshooting.

I worked with another tech today, set all of my logs to debug and cannot find anything. Does anyone else use just agents and is able to pull in resources in mass?

Update:

I am sad to report that in the network discovery wizard, the tab "Agent" scans the system for an agent. Upon finding an agent it attempts to update the agent. That is not how it should be in my opinion. This should be for connecting to a system that already has an agent and running WMI queries or Perl scripts, on linux, to grab new hardware changes. Instead, you have to open up WMI which is a dynamic port or snmp and push out snmp communities to all the nodes you want to scan PLUS the agent ports. This should be reworked. 

Message was edited by: David Tesdall