cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Solarwinds 2020.2 on Windows 2019 Secure Host Baseline

Jump to solution

I've been given the Secure Host Baseline image of Windows 2019. This is an image that's been pre-hardened by the DOD. I've been asked to install SolarWinds NPM version 2020.2. I've managed to get it installed but the only web browser on this image is IE 11. During the installation I indicated to install using HTTPS using port 443 and to use a self-signed certificate. I also allowed the installation to setup and install missing IIS components. After installing the product it's failing to access the Orion Web Console. The browser displays an error that says, "Can't connect securely to this page." I've confirmed that IIS is running and that the SolarWinds NetPerfMon website is running.

I suspect there are additional Windows security settings that need to be adjusted. But I don't know Windows well enough to identify them.

I've been given the following details regarding the minimum browser requirements for Orion.

Orion Platform products support two most recent versions of the following web browsers available at the release date:
Firefox
Chrome 
Orion Platform products also support the following browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 with Active scripting
Starting with Orion Platform 2020.2, some pages are not compatible with IE 11. Classic Dashboards continue to support Internet Explorer 11.
Do not enable Enterprise Mode on Internet Explorer. This setting forces Internet Explorer to emulate version 7, which is not supported.
Microsoft Edge Browser requirements: JavaScript enabled and Cookies enabled

Does anyone have experience getting this to work with IE 11 with Active scripting enabled?  Has anyone gotten SolarWinds to work with the Secure Host Baseline image of Windows 2019?  Does anyone know which GPO objects to adjust in order to make this work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Have you tried connecting to the web page from your workstation browser?  I know that when I connect to Orion from a server I always get all kinds of warning messages popping up about various security settings being an issue, but workstations aren't hardened to that level so it loads fine from there.

For one thing it is quite possible that the hardening simply rejects self signed certs that aren't trusted, in which case you might need to add the cert they present as a trusted cert on your server.  
https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/1839-installing-self-signed-ca-certificate-in-windows

- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Have you tried connecting to the web page from your workstation browser?  I know that when I connect to Orion from a server I always get all kinds of warning messages popping up about various security settings being an issue, but workstations aren't hardened to that level so it loads fine from there.

For one thing it is quite possible that the hardening simply rejects self signed certs that aren't trusted, in which case you might need to add the cert they present as a trusted cert on your server.  
https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/1839-installing-self-signed-ca-certificate-in-windows

- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post