This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SolarWinds Orion GUI Question

The Network Group lead told me that he was using some "GUI on the SolarWinds server" to manage Orion a while back. I wasn't aware there was an alternative to the web interface. Is he correct in this thinking? What other GUI is there available?

• How long ago was it?  In older versions, there would have been a GUI along with the web interface.  Over time though it was dispensed with in favor of moving everything to the web.  NCM still has a GUI, but not NPM.  Of course there are still the resource GUI's for Advanced Alert Manager, Report Scheduler, Report Writer, Network Atlas, etc.  As far as I know, though, it has been quite a long time since there was a GUI for NPM.

Hope this helped.

• Not sure exactly, it was at least a year ago I'm almost certain. I figured it had to do something with versions. There's no alternative to the web GUI for 10.1.3?

• From everything that has been coming from SolarWinds, I would say no.  They are working on moving everything to the web.  It is a process, but it seems that the further along they get with development, the more things are getting added to the web UI.

• Actually, the System Manager is still available from the server, but it has no real administrative capability anymore. You can still create simple SQL views and save them for future reference. and you can launch certain other functions from the Orion menu, but it is on the way out in favor of the web GUI.

Access it from Programs-->SolarWinds Orion--> Network Performance Monitor--> System Manager.

Hope this helps.

• Yeah, I knew about that. He brought it up because a lot of times the web interface gets hung up to the point of having to exit my browser, clear cache and log in again. He said he never had this issue with the GUI interface I'm talking about.

• Yep, that is why some more tenured users aren't too happy to see the System Manager exiting stage right. :)

• Yeah, but even so, a lot of the non web apps seem to have issues too. Mainly the report writer.