Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

SolarWinds NPM installation

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am installing solarwinds NPM for first time. I have seen videos and content of how to get start installation. After login to soalrwinds ID in the license tab I downloaded NPM tool. 

now I have only one server on premises, but i have studied that orion installer and orion database should be on different servers. will it work on 1 server? and how can I make active directory(sorry I don't have much system/Server knowledge)? 

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

>> what is the difference between lightweight and standard installation. which one is recommended.

I believe @ChrystalT has already answered that bit when she said: 

There are a lot of unknowns to your question - namely how large your installation is or is likely to get, what modules you are installing aside from the aforementioned NPM, why you don't want to or can't install the database server on a separate server, etc.

In other words, you will need to provide more info first for someone to better aid you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 13

There are a lot of unknowns to your question - namely how large your installation is or is likely to get, what modules you are installing aside from the aforementioned NPM, why you don't want to or can't install the database server on a separate server, etc.

The short answer is it's not recommended due to the nature of the software. Your primary application server is already going to be performing many functions utilizing the required resources: monitoring, alerting, receiving syslog/traps/flow traffic, hosting the website, performance analysis, and more. 

Microsoft SQL has steep resource requirements of it's own including it's proclivity for tearing through memory.

So, while technically nothing will prevent you from doing so, it is likely that you will run into issues at some point due to them coexisting on the same server. If you run into issues and need to call in support, it is probable that one of the first problems you will run into is that they are on the same server and support will recommend that you migrate the database to a stand-alone SQL server.

More requirement information can be found here. Hopefully, this helped answer your question.

Chrystal Taylor | Head Geek

Thanks, actually in current scenario, I am implementing NPM in a project that is having one dell server. that's why I asked that it will work if i will install on it.

Sorry for such questions, I am doing it first time.

what is the difference between lightweight and standard installation. which one is recommended.

Regards,

0 Kudos

>> what is the difference between lightweight and standard installation. which one is recommended.

I believe @ChrystalT has already answered that bit when she said: 

In other words, you will need to provide more info first for someone to better aid you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos