cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

SolarWinds Install Security Requirements

Jump to solution

I installed SolarWinds on Windows 2019 and was able to install it successfully. After the install, I ran the configuration wizard to bind my SSL Certificate and the configuration wizard failed. Ended up opening a case with support and we did a complete uninstall. Started the install again, which completed successfully, however this time the configuration wizard is not loading. Support has recommended the below steps.

I am a bit concerned with these steps as this seems to be a security risk, turning off antivirus, using local admin accounts. Has anyone faced these issues before.

As per support these are the recommendations.

• Request to the IT-Security team to turnoff the Windows Defender
  • Seek help with the server team to have a local admin in the server
  • Try to log in using the local admin on the Orion server then run the Configuration Wizard (if the option show for the database, services and website please select those three option)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 13

**edited only to correct a typo**

Because of recent ongoing events, I think it is important to clarify - especially on the "Turn off anti-virus" instruction.

It is important to note it is ONLY DURING INSTALLATION. As soon as the install is completed, you should turn AV back on. Do a scan and have it double check everything is A-OK.

But AV will break your install. Quoting @adatole:

Honestly, there are TWO big stumbling blocks with installs that I and other engineers see:

1) people install using an account other than local admin. ONLY install SW with local administrator. Period. Not domain admin. Not "Bob who is part of the local admin group". Actually log in/change context to local administrator and run the installer from there.

2) turn off AV and anti-malware DURING the install. Once you've installed, turn that sh... tuff back on.

There are other install/upgrade tips, but those two seem to be most relevant, uh, "these days".

Chrystal Taylor | Head Geek

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 13

**edited only to correct a typo**

Because of recent ongoing events, I think it is important to clarify - especially on the "Turn off anti-virus" instruction.

It is important to note it is ONLY DURING INSTALLATION. As soon as the install is completed, you should turn AV back on. Do a scan and have it double check everything is A-OK.

But AV will break your install. Quoting @adatole:

Honestly, there are TWO big stumbling blocks with installs that I and other engineers see:

1) people install using an account other than local admin. ONLY install SW with local administrator. Period. Not domain admin. Not "Bob who is part of the local admin group". Actually log in/change context to local administrator and run the installer from there.

2) turn off AV and anti-malware DURING the install. Once you've installed, turn that sh... tuff back on.

There are other install/upgrade tips, but those two seem to be most relevant, uh, "these days".

Chrystal Taylor | Head Geek

View solution in original post

Thank You, I did that and also did the install using a local admin account. The installed worked fine this time.