cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

SolarWinds Agent using 2-3+ GB RAM

We're noticing that the SolarWinds agent is consuming a significant amount of RAM on our servers.

In this instance, it's using over 3GB.

pastedImage_0.png

Restarting the agent does temporarily alleviate the issue. I'm thinking of running a scheduled task on all my servers to restart the agent daily, but that seems to be masking the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

72 Replies
Level 13

For the buddy drop, can we use Orion to deploy? My support agent said that I needed to deploy it manually to each agent. (Or setup some sort of alternative process)

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

The buddy drop is deployed to each poller manually, which will then deploy it automatically to all agents.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Thanks for the clarification, much easier to deploy that way.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Has this been resolved yet? I have an open ticket, but no additional info. All I am receiving is request to close the case without resolve

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

A temporary Buddy Drop has been made available which can be obtained from support. A fix in an official hotfix is still forthcoming.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I remember we installed a hot fix to resolve our issue regarding High Memory Utilization but we are having a constant CPU spike now.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

We have published a KB article with a temporary workaround to this issue while we continue to develop a more permanent fix. It is available at the link below.

Orion agent memory leak for SolarWinds.ServiceHost.Process - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Sup...

Level 12

aLTeReGo When I go to this link https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Orion_Platform/Knowledgebase_Articles/Orion_agent_memo...  it asks me to login and it is not accepting my credentials. Do you have another link to that page? I was unable to find it when I search in the Success Center.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

This KB is not longer active as the issue is addressed in the latest release.

Level 12

So we fix one issue, which exposes another issue...

Please help me understand this;

1. SolarWinds.ServiceHost.Process is has a memory leak.
  2. Install buddy fix ServiceHost_2.0.0.566.apkg on all of the polling engines.
  3. Some 700+ agents out of our 1933 automatically get updated.
  4. Said buddy fix still has issues, advised to disable SolarWinds.ServiceHost.Process by renaming ServiceHost_2.0.0.566.apkg to ServiceHost_2.0.0.566.apkg.old.  I'm assuming the same goes for ServiceHost_2.0.0.565.apkg???
  5. Some 700+ agents out of our 1933 try to update the agent packages, but there's no means of uninstalling the cortex services on the agents.
  6. Which means agents that have ServiceHost_2.0.0.566.apkg still have the memory leak, but any newly installed agents won't get the offending plugin.
  7. To fix the 700+ agents that keep reporting "Plug-in update required" and to remove the ServiceHost_2.0.0.566.apkg plugin, we're forced to manually uninstall the agent software and then re-install the agent software.

Seriously, am I missing something here? 

Yesterday, a server admin was complaining about the Solarwinds Agent using so much memory.  I uninstalled the agent with the buddy fix and I watched the used memory drop 9 Gigs.  I then installed the agent with out the Cortex option and the used memory barely increased.  I checked it again today and the used memory was nothing like it was yesterday.  The server admin claimed he saw an immediate increase in server response after I uninstalled the agent software with the ServiceHost_2.0.0.566.apkg plugin, and he's still happy.   

Can someone please provide an update on when we can expect an actual hotfix to address this issue?

Product Manager
Product Manager

You are correct that the KB as published has not worked for all customers so we have made a buddy drop available for those customers affected with open support cases. This buddy drop will effectively replace/overwrite the offending plugin with a dormant stub until a proper fix that addresses the leak is available.

0 Kudos
Level 9

The article says "Note this issue means a loss of functionality to perform Cortex Real-time Polling against those agents".

What functionality would be lost? I'm trying to figure out if it's better to disable this plugin or to continue to mask the issue by restarting the agent service.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Cortex provides Real-Time polling within PerfStack for Agent managed nodes.

0 Kudos
Level 8

My support case for this issue was just closed with the following:

We are writing to inform you that we are closing this case. Our Engineering team are currently unable to implement a fix for your issue at this time.
A fix may be implemented in the future.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

amaiman, I have followed up with the support engineer who owns your ticket asking them to reopen the case.

What sort of response is that???... I actually got an update to my ticket today offering to do further testing with me.

0 Kudos
Level 9

That's completely unacceptable. My case is still open (case 00203794). Try responding back and referencing the case numbers in this thread.

For the life of me I can't understand why they would do that.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I've noticed these kinds of responses with their customer support. It's really bad.

0 Kudos

Following.

0 Kudos
Level 12

At this point i can definitively say this buddy drop did not resolve our with the Solarwinds.Servicehost.Process memory leak.  We're updating out ticket now.

See screenshots of 2 different systems.  You can clearly see when the patch was install point, the memory usage dropping and then climbing back up.  By the end of the week, I'm forecasting that the Solarwinds.ServiceHost.Process memory usage will be the same if not greater than when we installed the buddy drop.Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

0 Kudos
Level 7

Does anyone knows if the new Orion® Platform 2018.4 already contains a fix for this issue?

0 Kudos