cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

SolarWinds Agent using 2-3+ GB RAM

We're noticing that the SolarWinds agent is consuming a significant amount of RAM on our servers.

In this instance, it's using over 3GB.

pastedImage_0.png

Restarting the agent does temporarily alleviate the issue. I'm thinking of running a scheduled task on all my servers to restart the agent daily, but that seems to be masking the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

72 Replies
Level 9

Seeing this issue in 2019.2 HF1. Unable to perform a memory dump due to implementation in a closed network. Anyone else having issues on this release?

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

jhorng  wrote:

Seeing this issue in 2019.2 HF1. Unable to perform a memory dump due to implementation in a closed network. Anyone else having issues on this release?

Please try running the following Query against the Cortex_Documents table of your Orion database.

delete from Cortex_Documents where Data LIKE '%"ModelType": "Orion.Volume"%' OR Data LIKE '%"Type": "Orion.NodeToVolumes"%'

pastedImage_2.png

When done, stop the Agent service on the machine with High Memory, delete all *.db files in 'c:\programdata\SolarWinds\Cortex_Agent\', and then start the Agent service again.

Level 9

Unfortunately even while following your process, the additional polling engines consume 3GB+ of memory in 24 hours. I can confirm if I restart the Solarwinds.Cortex service, the memory leak is cleared for 24 hours

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

jhorng  wrote:

Unfortunately even while following your process, the additional polling engines consume 3GB+ of memory in 24 hours. I can confirm if I restart the Solarwinds.Cortex service, the memory leak is cleared for 24 hours

It sounds like whatever issue you're experiencing is unrelated to the one thomsen48​ referenced above that was solved with a query. Have you verified that your agents have been upgraded to v2.2.0.860 and that all relevant agent plugins are up-to-date?

Aside from that, I would encourage you to open a case with support so we can identify the root cause. A memory dump would be a tremendous help in identifying the cause and should not require that the host have internet access to obtain.

0 Kudos
Level 9

How can one check to see what version of agent is installed?

0 Kudos
Level 13

From the top menu bar - Settings - All Settings - Manage Agents. It will be in the Version column.

Level 9

Unfortunately the query as a select instead of a delete came back with 0 records. I quadruple checked the query to make sure there wasn't any syntax errors. We are not monitoring any servers and only network devices, so don't know if the query was related to host based monitoring. I went ahead an shutdown the services and deleted the DB files to see if it'll have any effect. Will update in 24 hours.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Came back to add that I contacted support and opened a ticket as they suggested.

The support was really helpful and my issue got resolved!   (they gave me a query to execute on the database)

Level 12

Do you mind sharing the query?  We've been facing similar issues and going in circles with Support for weeks.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm not sure that my issue is the exact same as yours, so I would not recommend that you just run the query.

Can't have that people who come across this post in search for a solution starts executing random sql Querys, without knowing the impact.

But I don't mind sharing my case number, so you can mention that in our case.

Case # - 00309974

Level 9

I too would like to know about this query; although, we are on 2018.2 HF6 which is what support told me a month or two ago would fix it. I might just have to open another ticket after i get some memory dumps.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi , we find some actions to resolve this issue

• First: go to the service
  • open the recuperations options
  • configure in the reboot time

Attention: in Windows server 2008 the solarwinds service is called  SolarWinds.Agent.Service.exe

pastedImage_1.png

SolarWinds.Agent.Service.exe

Level 7

Just found this issue today!

I also have issues with the actual NPM 12.3 server and runaway worker processes. That case was never resolved, even though they tried several times to do so, by just doing the same things over and over.

Here's a screenshot from an agent I had running on my WSUS server [2016]. I was shocked to see how much memory it was using.

high_memory_agent.PNG

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Orion Platform 2018.4 Hotfix 2 is now available for download through your customer portal. It includes fixes which address the memory leak in the Agent Cortex plugin.

pastedImage_0.png

Level 8

We still have the issue.. Any news?

Version: http://www.solarwinds.com/Orion Platform 2018.4 HF3, NPM 12.4, NTA 4.5.0, SAM 6.8.0, NetPath 1.1.4

Service was restarted, this picture is after 15 minuttes. (This agent was also reinstalled..)

qweqweq.PNG

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Please capture a memory dump from that process and open a support case so we can investigate what's causing such high memory utilization.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Am I missing something, this hot fix is only for Orion Platform 2018.4 only!!!

Are there plans to release a hot fix for those of us still on 2018.2?? 

This issue was first addressed as being an issue in platform 2018.2 back in September. It would have been nice to have a hot fix that addresses people who are using both 2018.2 & .4.

Product Manager
Product Manager

A fix for those running on 2018.2 is available by opening a case with support.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Hi All,

Just want to register I'm having the same issue. Just had it brought to my attention and we had a few servers with 3gb used.

I'd like to move to the agent in-bulk at some point but it needs to be rock solid and it's not the first time i've had problems with a test batch

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

adam.beedell​, a buddy drop which addresses this issue is immediately available by opening a case with support.  This fix will also be included in our next Orion Platform Hotfix which is currently undergoing final rounds of internal testing.