This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SolarWinds Agent Management

My company will not allow agentless monitoring from our on prem environment to our cloud spaces. Because of this we have to use Agents on all of the EC2 instances and Azure VM instances.  The agent is automatically installed during the build process.  We have it set as agent-initiated communication.  What is happening is servers are built, they check into SolarWinds and are destroyed.  This is leaving orphan agents in manage agents that need to be cleaned up.  What is missing is that i don't know how long that agents have not been connected to know what I can get rid of.  Does anyone have a method or way of doing this clean up whether it is automated or not?

• Many threads on this topic as we enter a new age of server management and monitoring in the Cloud.

SolarWinds is still in a monolithic era where physical servers can stick around the data room, data center for 5 to 10 years. Many of us still have those physical Windows 2008 servers in the data room that still serve up old finance applications for example.

SolarWinds and others will need to adapt to the new cloud world of dynamic destruction and creation of servers. This can't be done in the agent world as it stands today.

It will be interesting to see who comes out on top in the new Cloud world of monitoring.

You are describing the mess that is created when the old and new world collide - agents are the antithesis of what is required in the new dynamic cloud world. The days of having those physical servers in the closet running Java apps are soon over.

I predict at some point in the next 5 to 10 years Microsoft or Amazon will takeover SolarWinds in a fairly substantial stock deal.