This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Slated for next release

Is there a way for us to know what is being worked on and slated for the next Orion NPM release? Does SolarWinds give out that information before the release? I know there is a forum for our wish list, but it would be helpful to know what is actually being worked on.

Thanks!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Justin,

The next release is 8.5.1, which will be service release with no feature and lots of bug fixes.  That's in testing and will be released soon.  I think you're really asking about the next major release.  I can't go into any details yet.  We're in planning phase, so almost anything I say now will be wrong long before the release actually happens.  As we get closer and the wobble in the feature set calms down, we'll be able to reveal more.

Denny

• What I'm saying is that we have not yet released Orion into our production environment due to features not implemented yet, but have been rumored to be coming soon. Like MIB table scans. I'd like to know what is potentially going into the future release so that I can plan to either roll out and bite the bullet, or wait for the next release and have some of what we need.
    I'll give my sales guy a call.
    Thanks Denny!
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jds

Justin,

I've said in other posts that we plan to support table-based MIBs in the next release, but I'm not comfortable promising anything since we're in planning mode for that release.  I can tell you that it's some months away and that if you upgrade to 8.5, you'll be running it for a while.  Wait for 8.5.1 which is due in a week or two, so you don't upgrade twice.  Please feel free to call your sales guy, but with respect to future features, he will just ask me.  Assigning features to releases is my actual job.  Posting to Thwack is something I do because I like you all so much. 

Denny

• :) And we like you too!

I think Patrick may be forwarding you an email I just sent him. Maybe not. But if so we can discuss further there.

Thanks for all your help Denny!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jds

Yeah, Patrick came by right after you called him.   

• JDS,

IMHO Orion at the present is going through a series of upgrades that are for improving the architecture of the product rather than major feature add-ons. In 8., we got a vastly improved database. It looks to me that Solarwinds has been doing a  full .NET upgrade of the back-end.

SNMP table reads are for all practical purposes are completely new type of data read for Orion - which right now is very much row-oriented for its data objects. They're doing the right thing in cleaning up the back-end before they implement table reads (and therefore 2-dimensional data objects).

Don