cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Show us your Worldwide Maps -- for 500 THWACK points!

Hi! It has been awhile since we asked you to Show us your Network Atlas maps! We want to check back in and focus on Worldwide Maps this time.

The User Experience group wants to see examples of the Worldwide Maps you utilize in Orion. We also want to know: What do you like about Worldwide Maps as in what can you absolutely not live without? What challenges, frustrations or issues do you have with it?--Share screenshots (scrubbed is fine) of your maps either here OR email it directly to me at kristin.bongiovanni@solarwinds.com AND tell us your Worldwide Maps stories, then we'll award you 500 thwack points for your participation. Please submit your maps by November 1, 2019 to receive your 500 THWACK points.

65 Replies
Level 9

Eh... not finding the World Wide Map Widget very useful...

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Level 10

SWI maps comparison.png

The map on the left is the built-in Worldwide Map and the one on the right is the map that we've built ourselves.

Because of the nature of our business it is not that helpful to group nodes together by location. We can have multiple nodes in the same street for different customers and different suppliers.

We decided to build our own map because the built-in map used to freeze the interface indefinitely in any view it was in if there were over 1000 nodes on it. As you can see that issue has been fixed at some point so now we could use it again. It is still in place in the views we show our customers because the limitations on their accounts only allowed them to see a small subset of the total. The benefit of our custom-built map is that we have direct control over how we cluster nodes together (you can see it looks much less crowded), the information we show in the tooltips (right now only IP and SLA, may be expanded) and the behavior when clicking on objects. Plus, there's no limit to how many nodes we can put on it. Currently it's showing ~5.5k nodes (We monitor some nodes twice, which is why the other map shows ~7.5k. We filter the duplicates out on the custom map) and it loads in around 3 seconds when refreshing the page.

The way the custom map is set-up is a little awkward, though. It's a Custom HTML widget referring to a html/js script on the server that calls an AWS Lambda function that calls the Solarwinds API to retrieve information about the nodes shown. At some point we'd like to integrate it into the platform itself by using the Information Service or something, but it has low priority atm.

Edit: Another downside of the built-in map is the placement of nodes. ~95% of nodes we currently monitor we only do through ICMP so the automatic placement doesn't work for us. We also have a high rate or activations and cancellations, so having to change the map manually would take a lot of time. Exporting and importing the custom property values from Lat/Lng to Lat(World Map)/Lng(World Map) through the UI takes a long time and tends to slow the interface way down because you can't have it import only the values where the Worldmap coordinates have changed.

Level 13

thwack-worldwidemap.jpg

Manually placed using mostly group objects, with a couple node objects.  Nothing fancy at all.

0 Kudos
Level 8

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Level 8

pastedImage_0.png

Current Map - Still have a lot to build on. Hope to try and make a weather map soon!

I mixture of Node and Group entities

pastedImage_0.png

Level 14

No image to share, but I have a question for those that configured World Map...

How are you reflecting AWS/Azure/Google or any other cloud service since there are no lat/long to reference?

And a challenge for Solarwinds Dev: is there a way to put such a thing on World Map?

Level 13

All my cloud services are pined to the Data Centers, red bad...

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hi @deverts, this is a very good question and point you make! Good thing I'm on the user experience team because that means I'll ask you a question in response - tell me what you have in mind around putting cloud services on a World map. What are you hoping to see? How are you planning to use it? Any details are greatly appreciated!

Level 14

No questions in response to questions, that's not how the game is played.

So, my thoughts...Network Atlas, World Map, and xStack are simply high level graphical representations of the environment "at a glance." So, it only makes sense (to me at least) to graphically represent the entire environment. The idea is to have a quick glance that something is not right in my "world" (a.k.a., not green) and I need to investigate. We should only have 1 NOC view into the environment versus building a World Map of some, Network Atlas for others, and some xStack for stuff that doesn't fit into the other buckets. Each feature has it's purpose, but World Map has always made more sense to me as the "over arching, centralized, composite" NOC map (first level of support); it's graphical nature also makes it a great "executive dashboard" component. Network Atlas has always been the second because I can create connectivity between devices or any other customized drawing of "something." And xStack has always been third because you get deeper into the issues. The biggest issue I have with World Map is the lat/long requirement; I have an address...we don't ship stuff to lat/long locations, we send mail to an address.

xStack = AppStack and/or PerfStack, or any other stack that is created

D

Level 12

I've not put any locations for AWS/Azure but we have a cloud DC in a particular country i've assigned some co-ordinates to. The team who care about that service don't really need a world map view so it's not been relevant, but if it was i'd absolutely stick em in the sea off the coast

0 Kudos
Level 12

I don't have them on the world map, but if I did I would put them on one of the big white area's, such as Greenland or Antarctica.

Then again, I might spread them out among the Marshall Islands.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Great high-level view for our NOC.

YCA Network Map.jpg

Level 9

pastedImage_0.png

I'd like the longitude and latitude to be automatically added by rather then having to exp/imp.

Management love this view on our wallboards round the office, very handy once setup, though we have added our Indian Office to 'Sealand' as to stretch to include India would make it un-usable

Product Manager
Product Manager

In your ideal world, how would you want that data captured in Orion nwilson8989

0 Kudos

Default Custom Property, which accepts an online map searchable address; 1 High Street, Big Town, Sussex, BT1 AB23

0 Kudos
Level 7

WorldMap.PNG

Just getting started with it.  I haven't figured out how to add it to a NOC view yet.

World Map .. or State.. local … I feel very small ….. compared to the rest of you all !!!

I am monitoring the MPLS WAN Network:

pastedImage_0.png

Product Manager
Product Manager

zennifer​ - This is actually from Network Atlas - you may be interested in the following:  ORION PLATFORM 2019.4 - ORION MAPS RC (NPM Forum)

Welll ... don't I feel the fool..NOT .. you all got me upgrading ... I want to redeem myself.

I just upgraded last month .. had no idea that I was behind on the Platform ...

0 Kudos