This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Show us your Worldwide Maps -- for 500 THWACK points!

Hi! It has been awhile since we asked you to Show us your Network Atlas maps! We want to check back in and focus on Worldwide Maps this time.

The User Experience group wants to see examples of the Worldwide Maps you utilize in Orion. We also want to know: What do you like about Worldwide Maps as in what can you absolutely not live without? What challenges, frustrations or issues do you have with it?--Share screenshots (scrubbed is fine) of your maps either here OR email it directly to me at kristin.bongiovanni@solarwinds.com AND tell us your Worldwide Maps stories, then we'll award you 500 thwack points for your participation. Please submit your maps by November 1, 2019 to receive your 500 THWACK points.

• New environment still being built out, so it's not the right color yet but slowly getting there.

pastedImage_0.png

My biggest concern is going to be the number of devices, as I've heard that there is a limit to the number of devices you can pin to a map. At the moment I only have approx. 4500 devices imported still with another 6000-8000 to go!

• So, I sent you some pictures of our maps privately, due to the sensitive nature of our campus and such.   Hopefully you got them already.

Some things we love include the way it zooms in, the ability to filter things out, or do just groups or nodes.  

While I love the boxes that pop up when you hover, they tend to pop up really quick and can sometimes be difficult to get them to close, so you might end up with a bunch obscuring your screen.

And I do love the zoom, but it tends to work better zooming in than out.   For example, we usually have our zoom level and positioning centered around our main campus here in Los Alamos, but we have sites all over the US.   If I zoom out to see the other sites, they rarely (if ever) show up on the zoomed out map.    If I start at a zoom level that includes them, they're there though...

I wasn't a fan of working with it on a node level, if you have too many nodes it doesn't seem to group them all that well on its own.  ie: if you have a bunch of switches all at the same GPS coordinates, it should never try and enumerate them as single switches, they should always be grouped.   This doesn't seem to be the case.     Plus, it takes really long to render using nodes.  Since I switched to doing it with groups, much better and much quicker.  Just put the all the switches in a building in a group, put the GPS coordinates on the group, and it works great!!

We also had a problem when using nodes where it seemed to "snap" all the devices to the nearest intersection or street that it knew about.   Since many of our streets aren't really mappable by Mapquest or Google, since they don't have the clearance level to drive on our campus.  Not to mention that since photography is banned they probably don't care about driving their camera-toting GPS cars here.   But when we were working with this it would take the devices in multiple buildings with different GPS coordinates and put them all at the nearest intersection it knew about.   Very annoying.  Not having this issue with groups, not sure why?

Overall though, they're great, really reduced the effort needed to map them all and folks love it!

• Group your nodes by building and put the GPS coordinates on the group.  Then limit the map to doing groups, works much quicker and is easier!    We dynamically add our nodes to the groups based on our naming scheme.  Works out really nice for us and much easier to work with!!

• Thanks brscott@arcbtech.com​ :-) Can you share a little context around this map? Anything you particularly like or dislike about using Worldwide maps?

• I would like to say it's all just add the world map widget to the page and bam it's done ,but that is far from the case.

When I started the map very few nodes had location information and of those that did most was inaccurate.  Being a transportation and logistics company, we just happen to have a database of every location we have with longitude and latitude.  We also happen to have a good IP address scheme.  Using an powershell script, I could deduce the location code from the IP, then lookup the geolocation from the database, and manually assign Orion.WorldMap.Point to each node.  I run the script daily to keep up with new nodes.

• pastedImage_0.png

We love the feature, but would like for it to support more devices as we keep adding more.

• 2019-10-15 13_54_21-Mgmt - Local Map.jpg

It would be nice to be able to add more nodes to this (way over the recommended limit).  Also a pipe dream would be a little better weather map capability. 

• Thanks! Tell me more -- what do you use this map for? Anything you particularly like or dislike about using Worldwide maps?