cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Show us a NOC view and (don't ) get 500 thwack points (we still want to see, points no longer awarded)

The User Experience group wants to see how you've customized your Orion to create your own NOC view, or NOC views you like and are using from other products.  What do you like about your NOC view? What challenges, frustrations or issues do you have with it?--Show us your NOC view either here OR email it directly to me at kellie.mecham@solarwinds.com and share your NOC view stories by August 10 and we'll award you 500 thwack points for sharing.

UPDATE: we're no longer awarding points for this, but it's become a really popular post.  Please continue to share how you create NOC views, pictures of them, etc with each other as there has been clear value to users in seeing what other users do, but UX can no longer award points for this.

Message was edited by: Kellie Mecham

357 Replies
Level 9

noc2.jpg

How did you place you sites?  Are they just educated guesses? or did you set them at the actual address on the map?  If so ant tips for doing it faster?

Looks great!!

0 Kudos

noc.png

0 Kudos
Level 10

Do I get 500 pts? 

0 Kudos
Level 10

Boy we are some creative folks, aren't we...

I had a much more complicated NOC Dashboard in the past, but we recently moved DC's and stood up a new infrastructure, so I took the opportunity to create new dashboards. Everything in my dashboards are hot and allow the user to drill down to identify any problems. So far I have around 20 maps that the user can drill down to from the main NOC Dashboard. Currently this is just up/down with some html monitoring. However, I plan on adding application monitors and interface alerting to this. This first view is the primary "NOC" dashboard displayed in our DC on a 55" mounted monitor.

One thing I would like to have is the ability to just add a colored graphic without assigning it to a resource. without have to create custom graphics in the atlas. I would also like to see the ability to delete user graphics from the atlas without having to go into the DB to remove them.

Here are just a couple of my dashboard:

ATPCONOCVIEW.JPG

Card.JPG

Here is a view or our MSSQL cluster...

NOC_SQL.JPG

Jfrazier:

I'm curious how to gathered which server was primary and which was secondary and how did you link in which SQL instances were running on each node?

I'm working on a cluster setup right now where each SQL instance has it's own vIP but can run on any server in the cluster.

I'm looking at doing some Powershell magic but was hoping to know how you setup that view.

0 Kudos

Which view are you talking about??

If you are talking about the map we added each node using an excel spread sheet and lat and long. The view comes with SolarWinds 10.7/

0 Kudos
Level 15

Or you can build your own like I did! Read the following series to learn how to build it. I provide the all the things you need plus the code!

quad.png

Ahem, I expect my 500 points Miss Kellie.

Level 12

Our NOC view is still a work in progress, but I'm liking some of the ideas presented.

NOC_View.jpg

0 Kudos
Level 17

So in your NOC environments, how do you handle recording notes, events, tasks, etc to hand off between staff? For example- "Keep on eye on server Foo- it's been acting flaky."

Is that a task in your ticketing system, email, an entry in a spiral-bound book, post-it note?

On a different take, do you record notes per machine somewhere? For example- "Here's a list of all known issues of server Foo: On Tuesday nights, it likes to randomly reboot, on Fridays CPU spikes to 100%"

0 Kudos

We use our ticketing system (Heat by Front Range ) and e-mail to a central address.  There are only 6 of us, and we only monitor the network devices (and our own 6 servers).  Using the e-mail system allows us to keep the info indefinitely in an easily searched format. 

0 Kudos

Ticketing system with a shift notes function - it also acts as the CMDB and receives tickets from Solarwinds (alarm emails) which is historically tracked against the devices.

Looking forward to SAM 6 to fill in some of the gaps on actively monitoring some configurations and maybe compare against our CMDB for reporting.

0 Kudos

Mixture of ticketing system, & Alert Central, of course 🙂

Cool.  I love Alert Central.  It is so pretty!  

Level 17

top map.png

Also this harkens back to our original: 

So that makes this a rerun :^}  Here you'll see the OG's of homepages ;^}

0 Kudos

I really can't share too much but...

partofhome.JPG

0 Kudos
Level 9

Dear ,

Can we post our NMS now or I email you directly?

0 Kudos

Hi Bashir--you can email it to me directly at kellie.mecham@solarwinds.com.  I'll make sure you get your points!  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Thanks ,

I have emailed your. Please check and let us know with update.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos