cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

ShadowCopyCache folders in Temp Folder, what are they?

Jump to solution

Looking to free up disk space on my main polling engine (SolarWinds Orion Core 2010.2.1 SP1) and noticed about 4gb of files in the following location:

C:\Windows\Temp\Solarwinds\JobEngine

The folders are called ShadowCopyCache-SomeNumber

What exactly are these for and can these be safely deleted?

1 Solution
Level 13

Hi,

these directories are from our service Solarwinds JobEngine. Each JobEngine Worker (jobs executor) has own copy of all used libraries to don't block original files. Directory is created for each Worker Process (ShadowCopyCache-ProcessID).

Seems that you have couple of orphans there.

You can clear this directory, but before you do that please stop service SolarWinds JobEngine otherwise it can behave unpredictable or block some file.

Thanks

ET;

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Level 10

All, after I cleared out the files the last time we set out Antivirus software not to scan that particular folder anymore.  This seems to have stopped the problem.  We also excluded it from backups as well.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Hi,

these directories are from our service Solarwinds JobEngine. Each JobEngine Worker (jobs executor) has own copy of all used libraries to don't block original files. Directory is created for each Worker Process (ShadowCopyCache-ProcessID).

Seems that you have couple of orphans there.

You can clear this directory, but before you do that please stop service SolarWinds JobEngine otherwise it can behave unpredictable or block some file.

Thanks

ET;

View solution in original post

While this may explain what these files are and how to deal with them on an emergency basis,  it would seem to me that SW support needs to add a procedure to the Nightly  Maintenance routine to clean these files up on daily basis.  Since my most recent upgrade we are generating 400 to 600 MB of temp files everday. 

0 Kudos

Stopped all the Solarwinds services and was able to delete the 4gbs of folders with no issues.  Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos

Hmm and two months later I have another 4.2gb of these orphaned files in my Temp directory.  While I could just clear these out, I would really like to understand why they are appearing in the first place.  If the jobengines are crashing randomly, could that be a factor?

0 Kudos

Just opened up a ticket on this issue, Case # 345781.  Once again had no issues purging them, it's now more a question of why is this happening.

0 Kudos

keep us posted, I want to know why too.

0 Kudos

I have the same thing happening and I clear the folder out once a month.

0 Kudos