cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jharris30
Level 8

Scheduling downtime for nodes

Jump to solution

I have a office that must power down their equipment at the end of each workday.  This leads to SW showing the site as down everyday as they have cut the power off when they leave for the day.  What I need is to schedule downtime for this site during their non-business hours to eliminate daily alerts on our monitoring.  Can someone please help?  

0 Kudos
15 Replies
clubjuggle
Level 13

Re: Scheduling downtime for nodes

Jump to solution

Do they have to shut down only certain pieces of equipment, or everything at the site?

0 Kudos
jharris30
Level 8

Jump to solution

We monitor the circuit IP, 1 router and 1 switch.  There are 3 nodes total we have on monitoring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
clubjuggle
Level 13

Jump to solution

It sounds like you need the Unmanage Scheduling Utility.

There's a writeup on it here: Scheduling unmanage task for nodes, interfaces and applications

Note that if you are on 10.0 or later, you will not need to download the tool separately. It's available in the folder where you have Solarwinds installed at ~\Solarwinds\Orion\UnmanageUtility.

jharris30
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yea I'd already read this post, however when I get to the schedule task option I never get a wizard to setup times/days, it just runs the CMD and puts my nodes in downtime for that exact moment.

0 Kudos
clubjuggle
Level 13

Jump to solution

You need to manually open the Windows task scheduler after you create the CMD file and schedule the job from there.

0 Kudos
jharris30
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yea for some reason it wasn't allowing me to browse and select the cmd to insert, it was just running it automatically, I got it input and should be good to go.  Going to verify in the morning.  Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
clubjuggle
Level 13

Jump to solution

No problem, good luck!

Be sure to let us know in the morning how it worked out.

0 Kudos
jharris30
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's trying to work, but the times aren't working right for some reason.  I created the unmanage task to have a 14 hour 45 min duration (This is a location overseas so compensating for time difference) and the task scheduler is suppost to use the cmd at 9:15am M-Sat but I'm getting weird times and not the durations I setup.  This is the event status:

2015-05-22_8-02-13.png

Thought maybe I would leave the task and scheduler as is and let it run 1 more day just to test what it does after a full cycle.

0 Kudos
jharris30
Level 8

Jump to solution

Looks like it's syncing up the times correctly now, however every time the node is back up from downtime the circuit goes to unknown status, every time.  It polls ICMP only so I'm not sure why it would go to unknown every time polling resumes.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos