This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SWJobEngineWorker2.exe - What's hitting my SQL Server?

I'm new to using DPA - while monitoring some alerts, I found that we had repeated attempts for a "login failed for user 'domain\User': attempting to use an NT account name with SQL Server Authentication [CLIENT: <local machine>]"

After doing a bit of research, we have identified that the attempted logins were coming from a Task Manager Detail with a PID associated to SWJobEngineWorker2.exe that runs every 5 minutes, and everything I've found seems to be that this is related to NPM.

There are also 3 other Detail/Services that are constant: SWJobEngineSvc2.exe, and 2 instances of SWJobEngineWorker2x64.exe

We do not have any stored credentials in Solarwinds for this particular domain\User, and it doesn't appear that we're using AppInsights to monitor, and nothing seems to be failing, as DPA is monitoring the SQL server just fine.

How can I find out what is using this ghost account and remove it?

NOTE: There are NO services on this particular server that use this domain\User account and the only SW service running is 'SolarWinds Agent' using LogOnAs Local System.

• SOLVED!

In Solarwinds, under the "Product Specific Settings > SAM Settings", the account 'domain\User' was attempting to use an incorrect Authentication Type and likely an incorrect password (not sure how long ago this was set up in our environment).

After changing the account and authentication type, we were able to quiet the false alerts.