cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

SQL to Add Nodes

Anyone know how to use SQL to add new nodes directly to the database?  I have a large number of devices I need to monitor with ICMP only.  I don't want to scan subnets because there are too many of them and the seedfile.txt method only works for SNMP ebabled devices which these are not.

Thanks. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Level 15

It is not possible to add nodes directly to the DB, as there are many other tables which must be updated when even an ICMP only node is added.
Many on these forums have tried, but to my knowledge, no one has been successful.

0 Kudos

I know it doesn't help you today, but we are adding this capability in the next release of Orion.

0 Kudos

Is there any update to this? I need to add about 500 ICMP only devices, tech support said it was possible to add them directly to the nodes table but he was very vague and didn't have any specifics other than turning off the services....any gotchas before I try this?

0 Kudos

Let me add a little, we have our SQL gurus ready and if we can add only to the ICMP only nodes table with the appropriate fields then turn the service back on we will be good. It's if there are other hooks that are needed, we obviously won't be successful. I have to believe someone has spent time attempting this.......anybody have any insight?

0 Kudos

See this thread:

0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply and link, much appreciated that you take the time. I understand that you are probably tired of this question, however, adding so many ICMP nodes through the gui will take a substantial amount of time. If there was any way to get direction or clarification regarding an import method for icmp only nodes, even though unsupported, it would be huge. I know your dev team is afraid of people causing more problems for themselves so don't necessarily want to encourage something like this but it would help us out immensely if you were to help us find a way, we have easy fallbacks, snapshots, etc. and are willing to give it a shot if we just knew where the dependancies on adding these nodes lie....

0 Kudos

Snaggletooth,

Is there any reason you can't use the Host Seed File method?  It runs the discovery engine, but it's limited to just those nodes that you list in a formatted text file.  Would that not work?

0 Kudos

Nevermind, you said ICMP-only.  Sorry, there isn't any way to do it programmatically.

0 Kudos

Over 2 years later.....is there any way to bulk add icmp nodes?

I have to add over 3,000 nodes and need a way.

0 Kudos

Edit: duplicate post.. odd..

0 Kudos

Hi Andy--

I don't see a duplicate post. Can you explain further?

M

0 Kudos

We just captured the INSERTs via SQL Profiler and examined which fields were required and then wrote our own SOAP service to add nodes.  With it being highly experimental and not supported (though we've never had issues) I don't want to give advice to do this, but there isn't actually a lot to insert into the DB if you're just doing ICMP.

could you provide an example of you sql scripts to add a node

0 Kudos

Check out the SDK, we just released a new version which adds invoke/write functionality to do exactly something like this, see here

0 Kudos

Couple of reasons, we are attempting to add these as ICMP only monitoring to conserve the resources of the server, it is my understanding that the seed file method is only supported with snmp monitoring of those nodes. Also when we tested this in smaller numbers there was manual manipulation of every node after adding it in the seed file way. We gave that a good effort but just couldn't make it work on scale.

0 Kudos