This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMPv3 Configuration in NPM

Hi,

I have never configured solarwinds for SNMPv3 in NPM. I went and selected SNMPv3 and some other required information needs to be supplied such as Username etc.. There is a read/write SNMPv3 credentials and there is an SNMPv3 credentials. Which section do I need to fill out? Also if I selected the password to be the key, will this be the key for authentication and encryption in the servers to be monitored? Thanks.

• I would suggest doing some reading on SNMP v3. It is very different from v1 and v2. There is a lot of configuration to do on the clients themselves. At a minimum, you need to configure a SNMP v3 group and user. You also need to assign views to the group/s. Some of the views that I use are: internet, system, interfaces, and chassis (that are several more as well. I can send you some config snipits if that would help.

I noticed that you mentioned servers. As of right now, MS does not support SNMP v3 natively. I have no idea why they have not added this support by now. It is a huge hole in Windows security, as far as device management goes. There are some third-party SNMP add-ons that you can use, but we do not utilize them.

Jon

• Jon,

If you can send me whatever information you can send about this that would be greate. My concern is we are using net-snmp in our RHEL systems and the encryption only says AES but in solarwinds its AES 128. I am hoping they are compatible. Thanks.

• Check this out and see if it helps any