cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: SNMP vs WMI polling - pros and cons

Another PRO for WMI is that it grabs the "Avg. Disk sec/Transfer", "Disk queue length", "Total Disk IOPS", and "Disk Allocation Failures" for volumes - never seen anything in "Disk Allocation Failures", but that a good thing right?

I am not sure what version added that, but I was messing around with adding the new graphs and saw them and played around till I found that they had data if the server was WMI.

Highlighted
Level 8

I agree to Leon Adato, You must have both NPM and SAM.

Here's the list resources of NPM only

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 11.50.02 AM.png

Here's the list resources after SAM installed (assuming you added application components of this server)

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 12.36.27 PM.png

Highlighted
Level 10

I’d like to see the option to use both SNMP and WMI methods.

I monitor using SNMP across the board, but I want some of the options that WMI monitoring offers such as an account associated with the node (for service control via Solarwinds etc.)  and Disk Performance stats without needing to install “SNMP Informant Standard” on all my servers, or add  additional monitors manually.

I’m not saying that the same info should be gathered by both methods. I’m sure that the bods at Solarwinds know which data is best pulled from SNMP and which from WMI? If not, they could give the admin the choice of setting one as the primary method.

Highlighted
Level 16

Created request here:  http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/2287

Highlighted
Level 7

pastedImage_0.png

all These in depth details come from WMI. is it possible through SNMP ?

Highlighted

With proper agent configuration, yes. Example (HP server with HP agent).

snmp.jpg

Highlighted
Level 9

Hello all,

I'm looking for a definitive answer to just one thing.

Which monitoring protocol, WMI or SNMP, will affect performance of the monitored Windows 2008R2/2012R2 the least? WMI or SNMP? In the context of this question, it is not relevant which reveals any specific metric or health, only which puts more load on the monitored machine(s).

Thank you!!!

Pjc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Typically SNMP would be considered lighter weight from a host / query / network perspective.

Highlighted
Level 9

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 17

Agreed.

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------
"Measure what is measurable,
and make measurable what is not so." - Gallileo