This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP and Cisco Wireless Access Points Problem

FormerMember
FormerMember

SNMP v1, v2c, and v3 are not passing credential test for our Cisco Wireless Controller / Access Points.  We are currently using ICMP, and need to switch over to SNMP in order for the Solarwinds topology function to work correctly.  There is no way to configure the Access Points for SNMP through the controller.  I can setup SNMP on the controller itself but cannot get it to the access points.  I can go into each Access Point manually, and setup SNMP but when they reboot from whatever, it reverts back.  We have an older software version on the controller (6.0.199.0).  Does anybody know if the latest software will fix this problem?  Thanks in advance!

• Are you configuring through the web or command line?

For SNMPv 2 you can use the following:

Read-Write

config snmp community create password

config snmp community accessmode rw password

config snmp community ipaddr 10.10.10.20 255.255.255.255 password  (something like 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 for a /24 or 10.10.10.20 255.255.255.255 for just one IP)

config snmp community mode enable password

Read Only

config snmp community create password

config snmp community accessmode ro password

config snmp community ipaddr 10.10.10.20 255.255.255.255 password  (something like 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 for a /24 or 10.10.10.20 255.255.255.255 for just one IP)

config snmp community mode enable password

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to sachsj

Thank you for the reply, Jeremy.  I am able to configure the Access Points via SSH/command line for SNMP but when they reboot(from power outage or getting hung up), they receive the default settings(no SNMP) from the Controller in which you cannot change.  I was hoping a newer software version for Cisco Wireless LAN Controller 2100 series may have fixed the issue.  We do not have support right now and will push to get it if I can find evidence that the new software supports this function.

• Surprising that you even got it to work on Access Points.

Cisco doesn't support SNMP on Access Points unless they are autonomous.

We use the 5508 WLC.  We have AP's that are both 1 and 2 radios.

From Cisco

Q. Can a LAP AP handle SNMP messages like an IOS AP?

A. The LAP APs cannot handle SNMP messages on their own. In order to handle SNMP messages, you should configure an SNMP community on the WLC to which the LAP is registered. All the AP information is managed by the WLC