This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP Trap Viewer - Action

Hello Guys,

I'm new to Solarwinds and i really hope i created my qustion in the right forum.

we are having a trap viewer on our NPM Server (AFAIK it comse when you install the NPM). i wanted to create a simple action when a vlan is created an SNMP Trap is being received and just write it down to a long file, simple as that!

i created a rule manually by right click on the trap and "Add rule" so it will specificly catch this trap only (just for testing purpses).

for unknown reason even when i remove the specific configuration it catches EVERY other trap and log it to a text file.

i know that the rule is working because i created in that rule to color this event and add a tag to with + the script i've also tried to only create an action for script only and tried to change the VB script to PS script as EXE file.

anyone knows what to do? i've tried EVERYTHING!

Thanks in advance.

• Hello All,

Well i did a workaround for the issue i had since the support never gave me a solution, for those who stuck and looking for a workaround to solve the issue temporarly you can query the DB and pull the data you want (i used PS since i needed the module for syslog, but this can be done with VBs too and many other languages):

invoke-sqlcmd -Query "select * from dbo.Traps where traptype like '%<The trap you are looking for>%' and DateTime > DATEADD(minutes, -5, getdate())" -ServerInstance <DB Instance Name> -Database <DB Name>

I beleive this is the same for syslog but instead dbo.Traps just select from dbo.Syslog

export what you need and do whatever is on your mind with the data.

Good luck to all.