cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

SNMP Trap & Orion NPM Integration?

Can the SNMP Trap Alerts grab information from Orion NPM custom variables assigned to the same host or are they two completely seperate tools that do not share information?

--Mark.

35 Replies

We are using Trap Viewer 9.0 and we can view the traps but the alerts do not work is there a fix for this?

0 Kudos

My conditions were set incorrectly.

0 Kudos

Since there's so much interest, I'll certainly give it priority for a future release.

Thanks Denny, that's great to hear!!!

0 Kudos

I would also like to express my interest in getting advanced alerting capability in syslog and trap viewer; plus the ability to parse information from traps. I also am currently having to use an open source trap receiver that has loads more functionality than trap viewer, when this should be included into for-profit software. This seems like a highly repeated subject of interest on Thwack, I would have assumed it made it's way into 9.0.

0 Kudos

This is a feature that's planned for a future release.

0 Kudos

This is a feature that's planned for a future release.

Hi Denny,

I was wondering if you had any more information on this.  Our HP maintenance is coming due in a few months and we haven't switched our alerting to Orion yet because of how bad most of the alerts look.  We really don't want to have to renew anything and I'd really like to get the alerting moved over.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Since this thread started, we purchased Kiwi's Syslog server, which is also an SNMP Trap Server.  Our long term is to replace our existing syslog and trap functionality with the superior Kiwi software. 

In the meantime, have you looked at the Kiwi Syslog server.  Does it do a better job of what you want?  Even now, you can leverage it with Orion.  We can think through how, but first I'd like to know if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos

There are two small problems with trying to use something else.  First, we have Kiwi Syslog (Free) and sold Orion as replacing it.  (That has changed things a little now.)  Secondly, we have a lot of devices and we recently updated them to point to the Orion server.  That would mean that if we wanted to view the traps through the web interface we'd have to point the devices to another server that was running another tool.  I'm guessing that the previous plans for the alerter have been scrapped then?

0 Kudos

Not scrapped.  Merged into the integration plan.  We want to put our efforts behind a single syslog server that is fully integrated into Orion (which is why ours still has an advantage over Kiwi).

0 Kudos

I guess what I was hoping for is that you'd say something like, "It'll be in the next release and that is coming soon."  I was keeping my fingers crossed too....

If I'm reading things right, it sounds like it'll be a while before I'll be able to customize the trap alerts so that they are readable.  Would that be a safe assumption?   I don't think managment will be ok with me suggesting that we try and use another program since we already spent the money on our Orion install. 

0 Kudos

The change you're looking for was probably not going to make the next release.  The fact that this work is now attached to Kiwi integration, which is important (and which comes with actual Kiwis to do said integration) actually means you'll get it sooner.

0 Kudos

I like the idea of sooner! 🙂 

Thanks for the information Denny.

0 Kudos

I know this is difficult to judge or even commit to, but is there any idea of time frame/release level this would be in?  (IE: Service Pack vs Minor vs Major release)

0 Kudos

We don't put features into service packs.  I can't say which release it would go in.

0 Kudos

Yes, the integration of traps and syslog messages into advanced alerts is something we've always required and would appreciatte some priority development put on it.

thanks as always.

Dave