cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

SNMP Polling Meraki Devices (NPM +12.0/11.0.1) - How To

Edit (8/14/18):

Updated device list.  Thank you for input and tests on other models!

Edit (10/4/17):

Poll the nodes directly via Solarwinds.  You must define the SNMP details on the Meraki dashboard (see how-to steps below).

Meraki Document for the curious: Monitoring the Wireless Network - Cisco Meraki

Background:

Thousands of Meraki devices needed to be added to Solarwinds for my situation, and so the hunt began.  First stop was Meraki for some help, which led me to this document: https://docs.meraki.com/download/attachments/13500458/ConfigurationGuide-Meraki-SolarwindsSNMP%20(2)...  (Deprecated.)The document's instructions weren't for the implementation that I was looking for, and that document was all I could find in online.  What I needed was to poll the devices directly instead of through the dashboard.  When I followed Meraki's document for alerting, it wasn't what I was looking for.  Passing relevant information to the alerts wasn't available, based on Meraki's instructions.  Eventually, I accidentally stumbled upon the answer, and now looking back it seems so simple .

How-To Steps:

• On the SolarWinds Network Discovery page, create a new discovery
  • Use the SNMP string that was input on each Meraki network under Network-wide>General or Configure>Alerts & administration (located on Meraki's dashboard) and click ‘next’
    • SNMP settings include the version (V1/V2c), and a SNMP string.  They are located under 'Reporting'
    • Meraki SNMP.png
  • Uncheck ‘poll for VMware’ and click next
  • Uncheck ‘add to NCM’ and click next
  • Click ‘next’ on the windows credentials page
  • Paste in your Meraki IPs and click on ‘next’
  • Set the Discovery name and click on ‘next’
  • Set your discovery schedule and click on ‘discover’
  • Select the Meraki device interfaces you’d like to import and click ‘next’
    • Selecting the advanced options section can help for picking out specific interfaces.
  • Click ‘next’ on the volume type page.
  • Click ‘import’ on the import preview page.
    • Wait for the import to finish before clicking on ‘finish’

Results:

Here's a Meraki MX80 that's been added.

MX80 SW Node.png

Here's an MR16 that's been added:

MR16 SW Node.png

After the nodes have been added, I setup alerts and they'll be able to pull helpful information (Hostname, IP, Custom Properties, etc.) when an event happens.

Misc. Info:

Version info: NPM 11.0.1

Devices I've tested unless otherwise noted:

Firewalls

MX80

MX65 shannon.raymond

MX100 michael.kent

MX400

Wireless Access Points

MR16

MR18

MR24 michael.kent

MR32 kwameb87

MR42

Switches

MS22P

MS42P michael.kent

-

MS220 kwameb87

MS250 mlinsemier_tdc

MS320 kwameb87

MS350 kwameb87

MS350-24x mlinsemier_tdc

MS420 kwameb87

MS425 mlinsemier_tdc

Remote/Teleworker

Z3 mlinsemier_tdc

Z3C mlinsemier_tdc

Current issues:

From the screenshots you can see that the Last Boot date isn't correct, however that isn't a pressing issue for me.

I hope this will help some of you, and feel free to ask questions.

I'll be adding updates as more info comes in, so feel free to post what you have run into.

Message was edited by: Naters

53 Replies
Level 12

Where do I find the MIBS to properly poll these Meraki Devices?

0 Kudos

You can add the following to the list as well:

• Z3
  • Z3C
  • MS-425
  • MS-350-24X
  • MS-250

I know that a lot of information is offered available via the API via the dashboard.  I'd love to be able to use Soalrwinds to make API calls to the Meraki cloud, store the returned data in a custom table, and then design a view around it to list and plot graphs.  This doesn't seem to exist without some heavy modification of the user interface by hand.  Am I mistaken?  It's been forever since I did any webpage programming and scripting and I am looking for easy mode.

-Matt

0 Kudos

Not that I'm aware of.

In our situation, we had to write a script to hit the API and create a list of devices that met our criteria.  Here's the github for that script: GitHub - oldnotebook/Meraki-Uplink-Check: The script sends us a list of meraki devices that have upl...

This page may be helpful for API stuff: https://dashboard.meraki.com/api_docs#return-the-uplink-information-for-a-device

Meraki's response seemed to be either "make a wish" for a feature add, or use the API for any advanced stuff.

Hopefully that helps.

Edit:  I'd suggest using the API to pull the info you need and then store it in a way that's useful for you.  If you don't have a developer on your team, find one on upwork.com or something similar.  Make sure there are lots of comments in the code that explain what things are doing

0 Kudos

The meraki api is actually pretty trash tier.  There are management functions built into it but almost no metrics are available to be inserted into any other tools.  All the things people keep asking for are 100% not exposed to anything except their internal systems.

Their model is pretty clearly to build a pretty dope native dashboard, but keep all the useful data to themselves because the dashboard itself is the primary selling point of Meraki as a platform.  The only way i've seen to collect performance data from it would be to try and build a web scraper to crawl the pages and smuggle the metrics back out. Tools like that are easy for websites to sabotage if the owner of the data considers your scraping to be against their interests.

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

I've been looking through some of the API's and I may or may not be able to get the data that I want and use the Solarwinds API to POST back to page but the jury is still out.  I too agree with what you are saying to the point regarding the dashboard.  I'll make sure to bring this up yet again at CiscoLive! here in a few weeks.  I understand their point of wanting to have this single pane of glass dashboard, but the problem is the metrics that we require are aggregated up to quickly so for example 13% packet loss on a telecommuter Z3 today will show as 0.68% if i look at that same time frame a week from now.  it's hard to look back and correlate when the numbers are so far from each other.  It's obvious to me, but not necessarily to the business when we are trying to communicate that the employee has crappy Internet and that's why they have issues.  I'd even be willing to pay more for "advanced metrics" if its a storage issue on the backend.

Thanks for your input!

-Matt

0 Kudos
Level 11

I was able to add Meraki dashboard as a node and was able to get the wireless information such as Access Points.

However, we also wanted to see the routers and switches in Meraki to ensure that the sites are UP, latency is normal and bandwidth isn't completely congested.

Is this possible or anyone able to do this successfully with Solarwinds? If yes, which IP did you use to connect with Solarwinds and How?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Add the devices individually (add the IPs of the meraki devices).  Don't add the dashboard to solarwinds.  Adding the dashboard into solarwinds was basically useless for my purposes (alerting on nodes, etc).

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hi Naters - trying to get this working in my environment butnot having much luck 😞

I am confused as to which IPs i need to paste into the npm discovery job and the Meraki API key has no relationship to a discovery job?  The meraki IPs are all internal addresses that sit within the cloud (192, 10 etc..) so did you confiugure external facing IPs for snmp discovery?

Also, I sit within a multi-tenancy environment that could have many customers using the same internal address ranges as well as the added complications of NAT to reach these addresses.

What kind of environment did you implement this solution on?

thanks

0 Kudos

Correct, the API is something completely different.

I'd use whatever IP the device has (it's whatever static/DHCP IP you give it).  A static IP would be preferred so it doesn't change down the road and then all the polling info gets messed up.

What type of device are you trying to monitor (MX appliance, switch, wap, etc)?

0 Kudos

I sit within a multi-tenancy environment that could have many customers using the same internal address ranges as well as the added complications of NAT to reach these addresses.

This would be tricky / not possible.  You might need a polling server on their network unless you have a way to hit each device accurately from your "home base" network.  A senior network engineer could probably explain it better than I could. 

When I was with a MSP we were looking at other monitoring solutions for multi-tenancy / cost efficiency.  If I remember right; solarwinds has a solution, though it's not cheap.  Solarwinds may have needed a NPM instance [+ plugins] on each client network that could roll up into your main dashboard along with the other clients data.  I forgot the plugin name for it.  That type of setup gets expensive real quick, and most clients wouldn't want to pay for that (in our situation a while back..  What's-up gold was a cheaper option, though I wasn't much of a fan (solarwinds is usually blissful to work with).  Options may have changed since it has been a few years since that was done.

Most setups I've seen were for single companies (In-house monitoring / not with a MSP).

MSP = Managed Service Provider

Hopefully that helps some.

0 Kudos

The NPM/polling server will need to be on the same internal network as the client.  Can your solarwinds server ping the internal ip of the meraki device (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x for example)?  What type of device are you trying to add (wap, mx, ms, etc)?

0 Kudos
Level 7

oh man, saved my life.

thanks for putting this together!!

take all my upvotes

MS-225 confirmed working

Can i ask - how are you polling your kit?  What IPs are you using?

0 Kudos
Level 8

We managed to get the SNMP polling enabled for MX100 & MX400

0 Kudos

Hi,

Would you please provide detailed information how you managed to get the SNMP polling for MX100 & MX400? Are you able to see all APs CURRENT information now? (SSID, Response Time etc), which IP did you use finally? each APs LAN IP?

Thanks

0 Kudos

We currently have solarwinds NTA 4.1.0 and NPM 11.5 and are trying to bring in the data of the nodes for each MX location organization wide for full monitoring capabilities. When bringing in the nodes, the interface ports are off. Internet 1 is being seen as port 2 in solarwinds.

Our current MX interface layout on MX65 devices in particular are as follows

Internet 1 - goes to Internet device *ISP provided modem or such*
Internet 2 - open port
Port 3 - LAN switch uplink
Ports 4-9 are available LAN
Port 10 - DMZ
Ports 11-12 POE LAN

Each site in the organization is setup with SNMP from the - Network-wide-configure-general tab
SNMP access is V1/V2C community string
SNMP community string (xxxxxx)
Netflow traffic reporting is enabled, sent netflow traffic statistics
Netflow collector IP (solarwinds)
Netflow collector Port xxxx
Inkedport1MX_LI.jpgInkedRockawayFirmwareUpgrade_LI.jpg

0 Kudos

That is pretty odd. 😕

For our 65's I've only noticed the lack of port names.  The SNMP names don't match the names on the chassis.  Minor issue, but still -.-

0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi there,

thanks for  your help. Let me try out and see whether it works. Now my concern here which ip address i should use. We are not allowed to use Public ip address.

with regards,

George Dipu

0 Kudos
Level 8

I have similar situation now, I have an NPM running on 12.1 and wanted to onboard Meraki Switches & Firewalls. I am unable to get the SNMP string from the meraki(switch & firewall devices) from portal.    I have successfully integrated WIFI controller using API key and were able to see all APs which are associated with the controller.

Please shed some light on this .

with regards,

George

0 Kudos

Hello George,

I poll the devices directly instead of going through Meraki's cloud.  You'll add each node to solarwinds, and use the SNMP string that you defined under Network-wide>General.

pastedImage_4.png

0 Kudos