cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Run SolarWinds installation in silent mode

I'm attempting to follow the information found here: https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/Run-the-SolarWinds-Orion-Installer-in-the-sil...

While it provides some configuration examples it doesn't appear to install the product with the same configuration that I do when I install it manually.  I'm wondering if there's a way to derive the configuration file from a manual installation. 

For example, if I were to manually install CentOS Linux on a machine, the installer will place a kickstart file in the /root home directory.  I can then use this kickstart file to repeat the installation on other machines.

Does SolarWinds have a similar implementation for creating installation configuration files?  Also, if my silent install runs into a problem at some point is there an installation log file that I can look at to see where it got hung up?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 9

Would like to bump this post.

Also, I'd like to simplify the question.  Following the same support document that I linked to above I'd like to now simply install SolarWinds NPM in silent mode using the express install with SQL Server Express.  This should be easy, right?  Apparently not.

The document indicates to use the following in the configuration file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SilentConfig>
    <InstallerConfiguration>
        <ProductsToInstall>NPM</ProductsToInstall>
        <InstallPath>c:\Temp\OrionSetup\</InstallPath>
        <AdvancedInstallMode>False</AdvancedInstallMode>
     </InstallerConfiguration>
</SilentConfig>

There are a few problems with this.  First, it does not allow me to specify the location for the website to be installed.  I'd like it to be installed in a separate drive; D:/inetpub/SolarWinds.

Second, the Configuration Wizard never actually runs, which means the website and database never get created.

Third, if I manually run the Configuration Wizard, it fails with the following error message:  "Error creating Log Manager database. Please check the ConfigurationWizard.log for details."

According to the ConfigurationWizard.log file it states that the user doesn't have permissions to create the database.  I should point out that I am running this installation as administrator.

So...what's the correct way to silently install SolarWinds NPM with SQL Express on the local machine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos