cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Router BGP/Neighbor Alerting

I have NPM 11.5.2 and I want to setup some alerting so when a peer or connection to our ISP goes down I want to get an email alert stating which node is having the issues and what connection it lost. I am new to SW and still trying to get this whole alerting thing down so any help would be great to get me started on this.

Also, is there a away to create a report that can show all my neighbors and then i can have it posted on one of my summary screens?

14 Replies
Level 12

There's a canned report in the alert tool: "Alert me when a neighbor goes down", which by default writes an entry in the SW log. You just need to add an additional action to that alert to send an email to you, and make sure you have the "BGP neighbors" and EIGRP neighbors" resources selected under "Routing" via List Resources for your routers.

0 Kudos

A while ago I have bumped into a problem with default alert. When route has been deleted it would not account for this check and would alert anyways neither there is a way to exclude deleted routes within the alert in standard (non-sql) way. Hence the following line in code:

NPM_RoutingNeighbor_V.IsDeleted <> 1 --Exclude deleted routes

Maybe I just haven't found it yet ...

0 Kudos
Level 12

Here's what the default alert shows for me in the logic, you could delete the "Is Deleted" field if you didn't want it to fire on that? Our network guys wanted to be alerted in both cases so I kept that in:
routingneighbors.png

ah, ok, yes.... my memory... I have mixed it up with Hardware alert, whereby it was not possible to filter out deleted sensors. May well be the case now with latest NPM. Ye, if you can get away without SQL - I would prefer more native setup obviously.

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

This is how I do it (sql based): Know Your Routing Neighbours

This report will highlight routing issues in a resource/report way. I keep it handy on may dashboard.

I also use exact same SQL script to fire off alerts as well. Just simply select "Routing Neighbour" as your object in alert trigger and SQL Statement as your filter construction. Then remove entire SELECT section and paste remaining SQL query into filter.

This is what I found a few years ago. And I'm still using the syslog solution as there's nothing as quick as it available.

BGP Neighbour alerts.

And I just look for BGP-5-ADJCHANGE messages and forward them to the network team. Everything else in the Alert/Filter Rules section in Syslog Viewer is set to default (other than the email option).

Level 15

Check out these links: BGP OSPF and EIGRP Advance Alert

Hopefully it helps.

I've accomplished the desired results by alerting off Syslog information.  When a BGP or EIGRP neighbor relationship is lost, that shows up in the syslog.  The router or L3 switch is configured to forward that syslog info to Orion NPM.  I built a Syslog action in NPM that looks for BGP or EIGRP in the message and forwards it to my team.  It's pretty easy and intuitive to do.

Level 9

Do you have something I can maybe go by or start with? I would appreciate it

Thanks so much

0 Kudos

1. Start off by setting your routers to report syslog information to your Orion NPM solution.
  2. On the NPM server, open up the Syslog reporter application
  3. Create an alert for anything containing "EIGRP" or "BGP" or anything you want special alerts on
    1. Edit the Alert and insert all the appropriate information for who to send it to, when to send it, what should be in the subject, etc.
    2. Create an option to send you the "all clear" message when that BGP issue is resolved.

The online manual and the on-server manual have great instructions for how to accomplish this.  All it takes is a bit of reading and you'll be working with Alerts just the way you want.

0 Kudos
Level 15

See the link Node Down Alert     can hel p you and about report You can to create a report with a fiel pdf. see this please.   How to Create a Policy Report.pdf

mfoley@homesite.com​   I hope help you.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Thank cjfranca.. I know how to create node down alerts but I need to know when a bgp peer does down. I hope i am making sense at all. I think there is more to it than just node up/down.

0 Kudos
Level 15

I think if you create a UNDP for to monitor port 179 ( this port monitor  BGP) you can to create a alert for this.

0 Kudos