This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Rounding Numbers in Universal Device Poller

I got upgraded to Orion v9 yesterday and immediately started playing with the Universal Device Poller.  I love it!  I am pulling SNMP tables off my NetApp filers and generating reports on snapmanger results, volume usage, etc.  But, I have a need to round some numbers so it looks prettier on the website.  For example, I am generating a table on the Orion website that lists all the NetApp volumes and their free, used, and total size.  The NetApp SNMP values are in KB, so I setup a Transform to convert it to GB.  That all works perfectly, but now on the web site, I have sizes like 560.000038146973.  I would like to round those numbers down to just 560, etc.  I don't see a "round" function listed in the Transform wizard.  Is there a way to round these numbers off?  If not, that would be a VERY useful feature.  One of the other things I am going is using a Transform to divide used size by total size to get a percent usage.  But the percent displays as 73.7334014790171 on the website.  I would be nice to have that as 73%.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

There isn't a way to do that with the current version.  I'll add that to the list of features to consider for future releases.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    I'll add that to the list of features to consider for future releases.

Casey, I take issue with this response and this is the typical response I get from Support when we come across a report problem. This is obviously and absolutely without question a poor implementation of the product and appears to me to be a clear failure of SW to do good quality control of their software during the development, alpha and beta testing cycles by the developer.  Instead, of owning up to it as a bug, as in this case with Andrew's issue, and give it priority for the next release, the response is "we'll consider it for a future release".  That's BS!!!  It's an apparent formatting problem impacting the customer!  It's obvious to me with all the report generation problems reported over and over throughout this forum and the multitude of errors and format mismatches I personally find with Report Writer, web site and Report Scheduler that SW has little, if any, concern with testing report generation and presentation during product development.  It seems to me SW takes the approach, "let the user find the problems and then we'll fix them in some future release" without any concern what the impact poor report generation has on the customer which has to expend hours/days developing workarounds and explain to management why the tool has so many issues with producing quality reports.  "Sorry, I can't give you the report you need  because I found a bug in generating the report."  I do like the ease of creating reports in Report Writer and I will admit most reports do work well but what bugs me, is when I waste hours/days working on a workaround because of running into stupid problems like sort problems, format problems, calculation errors as well as different results running a report from the Web versus Report Writer versus Report Scheduler.  When I open a ticket with SW, I just don't see any COMMITTMENT or PRIORITY to fix NPM's report problems.  Next SP or version comes out ..still the same problem exists or even better, new problems.  Frustrating!!!

Some SW responses just erk the heck out of me sometimes.  I just had to do a brain dump on this one.

Andrew, I feel your pain.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

rgward,

I can appreciate why it's frustrating to get that reply that we'll consider it. But in many cases--as with Casey's answer above--we are providing an immediate (i.e., same day) response.  All we can say is that we'll consider the issue.  We could provide no immediate answer and wait until we've had a few days (or for bigger issues, weeks) to weigh it against all of the other issues and then give you a definitive answer, but I suspect that it would be even more frustrating. 

We're an engineering team.  If you're like most of our customers, you're part of an network engineering team.  Engineers are conservative with promises because we don't like to break them.  Until the work has been scheduled for a service pack or a specific release, we will be non-committal. So while I empathize that it'll irk some loyal customers, I'll just ask that you put yourselves in another engineer's shoes and view our responses in that context.

The big picture is that we are committed to fixing product issues and our record of regular releases and service packs is evidence of that commitment. 

Regards,

Denny

• Can you send me the instructions on how to set up the Universal Device Pollers for Netapp?