cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Reports Scheduler not working Windows 2008

I have been having an issue with the Scheduled reports on Windows 2008.  I have done a lot of reading on Thwack about this and have made many changes.

First: I switched from http to https.

Second: I turned on NT authentication to the Orion Website.

Third: I created a new user in our domain and gave them local admin rights to the server.

Fourth: I have modified the Task Scheduler Task to allow for running with out being logged in.

 

If I use my domain admin account I can run the task and it works, it sends me the email (This works if i am logged in as this user and if i am not logged in).  If I use the account that is set to a local admin the task runs and everything completes but there is no email in my inbox.  I do not see any errors in the event log.  The task goes back to idle after running for a minute.  I have even ran this task with the user logged in and it does the same thing.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 9

Is it possible that your Domain Admin account has rights to send SMTP mail of of the SMTP server but that the local admin account does not have rights to send SMTP mail?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi all,

I thought it's worth sharing, on "SolarWinds Orion Core 2011.1.1, NPM 10.1.3, IVIM 1.1.2 "

After wasting almost 2 days and 1 case with Solarwinds, who failed to pinpoint the issue, here what the problem turned out to be:

Make sure your saved report's name is short and does not contain any special characters. Also, it's visible in OrionWeb.log file, similar to the following entry:

 

2011-11-04 12:28:00,279 [21] ERROR ASP.global_asax - Application_Error

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'D:\Apps\Solarwinds\Orion\Reports\Super_Citrix_Server_CPU_.OrionReport'.

File name: 'D:\Apps\Solarwinds\Orion\Reports\Super_Citrix_Server_CPU_.OrionReport'

   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

 

 

While full name of the report is D:\Apps\Solarwinds\Orion\Reports\Super_Citrix_Server_CPU_&_RAM_Utilization_By_Hour_-_12_Hour_ Span.OrionReport

In addition to your 4 recommendations, renaming the file fixed the issue. Report gets generated and sent out without issues.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Level 7

What I did to resolve this was in IIS, where your cert is located, check the "Ignore client certificates" box. I don't know about the security implications, but it works for me.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Hi arboth--

Thanks for doing research and making those changes.

I've marked this for both the product manager and development to get you some answers. Post back if you don't hear from them. Also, community, feel free to chime in with answers!

M

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

We have a known issue around this which can be found in the release notes here

Have you tried this

Scheduled Tasks in Windows 2008 Server

The Orion Report Scheduler uses the Windows Task Scheduler technology to execute scheduled tasks. These scheduled tasks are configured to run in user-based contexts, and, by default in Windows Server 2008, they will only run when this user is logged in. In the event that the currently logged-in user is different from the user of the configured task, the scheduled task may not proceed as expected. The default configuration of any scheduled task may be edited as shown in the following procedure:

To modify the configuration of a scheduled task in Windows Server 2008:

  1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Task Scheduler.
  2. Right-click scheduled task, and then click Properties.
  3. Check Run whether user is logged on or not.
  4. Note: You may need to change the context of the job to enable the ability to change this settings.

  5. Click OK.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks to the response but this was step number three of my original post.  Everything works using my Domain Admin credentials but does not work with the domain account with local admin privileges.

0 Kudos
Level 7

What if the server is in workgroup mode. I am logged in as administrator and the scheduled job is also running as administrator (with the option of "run whether user is logged in or not" selected). Though the job is enabled, in the main window it shows enabled as NO.

 

What else could be wrong?

0 Kudos
Level 8

I have just done a clean install of my Orion system onto a nice clean 2008 R2 install and no reports.  Job completes but no reports.

 

I have, of course, done all the usual task scheduler adjustments.  I see the job run, no email.  I need to get this resolved.  When I go to the website I get a certificate error is the report tool launching a hidden browser to get the web page to email off?  I wonder if it's hanging at a certificate error.

Either way I need a resolution anyone have one yet?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Followup.

 

As suspected it's not the task scheduler at all.  These solarwinds people should have found this.

 

When SSL is enabled most of us are using a self signed certificate.  But if that pops a certificate mis-match error the job scheduler fails to get the report.

Fixes are to make sure the self signed certificate matches the host name exactly.  for example I was trying to pull

 

https://sdorionprd03/reports/somedumbreport

 

but that caused the certificate error mismatch because my self signed certificate was for

 

https://sdorionprd03.mydomain.com/reports/somedumbreport

 

when I used the matching hostname (in my case fully FQDN) the whole thing works like a charm.  I've found no way other than this.  This is something is the way the report is pulled via https but fails when the cert doesn't match.

 

How about a fix here solarwinds...

0 Kudos