This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Reporting on Application Monitor

I have both APM and application monitor.
I set up the apps to monitor in the NPM basically check the box of the app to monitor. I want to run a report on what app is monitored on which machine. I go to reports and the app reports all it finds is APM. Can I and How do I set up apps in APM that are in the normal application monitor? I see how to set up apps in APM but they are the basic apps, http snmp ect.
I am setting up monitors to monitor sshd, cron and syslogd on certain boxes. I also want to create a report for those apps.
The report writer seems to only report on APM.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

I'm not completely clear on what you're asking.  Are you trying to use the old Application Monitor?  APM can monitor whatever AM monitors.

• Yeah sorry. You answered part of it, APM cannot monitor whatever AM can.

How can I report on AM? the report writer only writes reports for APM.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jmeyer
    You answered part of it, APM cannot monitor whatever AM can.

But that's not what I said.  APM absolutely can monitor whatever AM was able to monitor, plus a whole lot more.

How can I report on AM? the report writer only writes reports for APM.

You can't.  And since APM subsumes the functionality of AM, you don't need to.  Use APM, and use its reports.

• APM absolutely can monitor whatever AM was able to monitor, plus a whole lot more.

Sorry I mis-read your previous answer.

Since it can. How do I set up APM to do that? I see the APM set up in the web console and new monitor but cannot get the apps to monitor that I am currently monitoring in AM.

• FormerMember

I'd suggest starting with the APM Admin Guide.  It's got a great Getting Started section.

www.solarwinds.com/.../panelvie.htm

• Thanks,

I took your advice read the manuel. I set up an app I want to monitor in APM. I applied it to about 25 machines that are currently running the app. APM reports 4 as never up. There are even machines that APM reported as up and after about 20 min reported them as going down. The apps are still up on the machines. These servers are mainly Linux boxes. I do an snmp walk on them and it sees several copies of the apps running on each box. APM in most cases is reporting the same thing. But in a few it is reporting as never up or as gone down.

Is this another case of Solarwinds not playing well with Linux (Net-SNMP)?

Is AM going to be discontinued? it seems to be monitoring correctly.

• FormerMember

AM has been EOL'd (end of life).  It will continue to work with Orion 9, but I do not expect it to work with any future versions.

It would really help if you open a Support case.  If you can poll something AM and not with APM that is a bug, and we need to know so that we can fix it. 

Thanks,

Denny

• Thanks Denny,

I do have a case open (Case # 39290) I am not getting further here. I have had one responce which was to write a sql qwery in AM. Soundl like I need to get this working in APM regardless.

Any help getting this ticket moving would be appreciated.