cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 15

Reporting Instance for Long Term Retention

Has anyone created a second copy of their Orion DB for reporting?  I'm looking for a way to have my main instance keep our standard retention period but then ship off nightly copies to a second instance for long term retention or more intensive reporting queries.

Has anyone tried to do that before?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 13

Pretty pleeeeeeeaaaaaaseee!!! This would be a big big plus to the SW offering!

0 Kudos
Level 16

Did you create a feature request (Idea) for this?

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Level 16

This is something we are intrested in as well.  Long term reporting is needed at a low cost.  To keep Orion running well you cant keep too much detail data.  We keep 90 days but for reporting purposes we have requests to move that to two years.  Impossible with the current DB.   BUT, if we could export daily stats and just keep that in a low speed DB, that would be awesome....

It could be a separate module that would store this data in a separate DB.

0 Kudos
Level 16

No, but I'm interested in this -- actually I'm looking for a proper reporting solution for solarwinds because web-based reporting isn't cutting it for me, neither is the ease with which data disappears from the database (e.g. pretty much at the whim of a solarwinds developer)

anyone built a datawarehouse for reporting? Any consulting companies offering such a feature?

0 Kudos

That's exactly what I'm working on.  I'm trying to determine the best course of action to build it myself since it appears no one has done it before.  Chrystal Taylor just curious has Loop done this with any customers?

I have not heard of anyone trying this.  I will reach out internally to see if any of our other engineers can shed any light on a project like this.

Thanks,

-ChrystalT

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

Chrystal Taylor | Head Geek
0 Kudos