This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Report writing help.

I am new to the report writing function with Orion NPM, I need to produce a monthly report to display Node Name, Grouped by Machine Type & availability.  I have managed to get this working OK, however I would like to take this one step further by identifying which of them servers are Physical servers and which are Virtual servers, I can see that the Hardware field displays this information however in the report writing tool I cannot see the field "Hardware".  Any ideas?

• Have you tried using the Custom Property Editor to classify servers by machine type? I've found custom properties very useful when building reports, alerts, etc...

• Thanks for the reply.  Yes I have used the machine type however that only shows the OS running on the VM, I want to be able to report if that machine type is running on physical or virtual hardware.  The Hardware field shows "Virtual Machine" if its running in a VM environment, this what I would like to pull through but can't see how.

• Chris, 

I believe what the poster was suggesting was to create a custom property, using the custom property editor.  For you situation, I would call the custom property "hardware"

Then populate that new custom feild with either physical or virtual values.

Then when you are creating your report, just add another field, Custom Properties.  When you run your report, you should get the physical, or virtual results.

I know this involves classifing your servers manually, but once your done, you wont have to do it again.  Only when adding new nodes will you have to update the custom property field.

The abiltiy to add custom properties, alert, and report off of those properties, is probably one of Orions greatest strenghts.  nearly every alert and report we have is based off of them.  Thanks SW!

• Just curious, where are you seeing this hardware field? Is this field only present with Virtual Servers or is this a completely new field in 9.1?
  • This Hardware field now appears in the Node Details resource. This must be new in 9.1.
    I have been wondering how this can be used to report on or filter in a display.

Using a Custom field or text is static data and tedious, though I went through the exercise to see how a Physical vs.Virtual report might look. Making use of this new field would be very useful.

I haven't found any way to make use of this field other than just the display in this resource.

stewie

• Did you ever get an answer to this query?

• No.  At the time I was hoping to use this field to display dynamically somehow as our servers were being migrated from physical to virtual. I couldn't find any way to do it so constructed separate Virtual and Physcal column displays using custom properties and manual updates on a daily basis through the migration period. A pain.

I see you have raised the issue here ...

stewie