This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Replacing CiscoWorks User Tracking Reports with Orion NPM?

Hello,

Does Orion NPM have a feature similar CiscoWorks User Tracking Reports?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_campus_manager/4.0/user/guide/ut.html#wp1035311

Basically I need to know what is plugged in where. Below is the data I am interested in pulling from all our network switches. The most important fields being MACAddress and PortName (descriptive field with actual cubicle number). Currently I am getting this data from CiscoWorks but would like to know if Orion can collect and report on this data.

MACAddress

HostName

IPAddress

DeviceName

Device

Port

PortName

PortDuplex

PortSpeed

VLAN

LastSeen

I read the following article which mentions a couple of SolarWind products - LANsurveyor and Switchport Mapper. However I am confused if I would need these products if we already own Orion NPM and Cirrus.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=382

Thanks for any help.

Qui

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

LANsurveyor is a separate product, and Switch Port Mapper is part of Engineer's Toolset, also a separate product, although each is <$2k.  Both of these products work with Orion, and either will get most of what you're looking for. 

• Thanks for the quick reply.

So does this mean that Orion NPM does not have a equilavent User Tracking report feature? I would have to purchase an additional product?

I have taken a look at Switch Port Mapper demo, which looks like it collects the data I am looking for. However it is performed on a individual switch basis. I am looking for this data to be collected for all my managed network switches and hopefully collected in the database so I can easily query it out. I am not interested in a graphical representation of the data (LANsurveyor?), a simple csv export is fine for my needs.

Thanks agains.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to quihong

No, it's not in Orion NPM.  I think LANsurveyor is what you're looking for. 

• Thanks for the response.

Does Cirrus Configuration Manager have a report that might show this info?

What reports are available with Cirrus Configuration Manager? I am not able to find a listing of reports that is included. Thanks

• You can try using the Find IP / MAC address feature within Cirrus, but it is based on data that has been imported within Cirrus (e.g. inventory data) so it has the potential to be stale.   LANsurveyor or Engineer's Toolset Switch Port Mapper both provide you with realtime data and more direct access to the switch port mapping details you require.  

• Does Cirrus Configuration Manager have a report that might show this info?

The "Find Address" tool in Cirrus will find which port any of the first three on your list (MAC Address, IP Address and Hostname) is plugged into.

• I am not looking for real time data. Inventoried data (on a schedule) is fine, that is how CiscoWorks User Tracking works.

Regarding the "Find Address" tool, would that return the portname (i.e., "Susan's Office")? If the data is captured in the database I don't mind querying it out directly using sql.

Thank

•  You can add interface descriptions to nodes

http://www.solarwinds.com/CirrusDocs/CirrusAdministratorGuide.1.115.htm 

and custom properties in Cirrus

http://www.solarwinds.com/CirrusDocs/CirrusAdministratorGuide.1.35.htm 

and when you run Find Address this info will be in the results.

• Sorry, I am a little confused.

The interface description (aka portname) is already set on our network switches. Does/Can Cirrus pull this information to its database? How does custom properties play into this?

Where can I find out more information about "inventory data" mentioned in the previous reply? Can you point me to any additional details on the reports the Cirrus provides out of box? The administrator guide is pretty vague.

Sorry for all the questions...just really hoping to retire CiscoWorks.

•  Yes, Cirrus should be able to pull that info. The network inventory will pull serial numbers, interface and port details, IP addresses, ARP tables, any installed Windows software on all managed devices and include them in the Configuration management database. The only reports out of the box include change management, inventory and policy reports and these offer many variances to them. You can also create a new report in which you can use custom properties to group nodes (i.e. by location)  I would suggest looking here www.solarwinds.com/.../features.aspx for more details and trying the 30 day trial version. You might also review these previous Cisco Works threads and try reaching out to some of these members who have used both products an perhaps they could offer you a better comparison.