This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Remove Primary Poller From Dropdown

Does anyone know how to remove the Primary node from being available for selecting when adding a node. (See attached Picture). No matter how hard we try and tell people to not add nodes to the Primary Poller, we keep having people add them.

Questions:

1. We'd like to remove our Primary Server from even being in the drop down list. Does anyone know if this is possible?
  2. If we cannot remove it from the drop down list, is there a way to make it so that the Primary Poller is not the default Poller chosen when adding a node?
  • I'm not personally aware of a way to accomplish this natively, even with account limitations. I don't know if we have a way to solve this people problem
  • There is no way to do this, the dropdown comes directly from the Engines table. One of my customers has 20+ APE's and they don't use the Primary for anything other than some static devices were monitoring. However any of the power users that can add nodes always end up adding to the Primary Server.

There are two things you can look to do to rectify this:

1) Setup an alert anytime a Node is added to that Polling Engine, and then you can go in and move it (Or email the person that did it and ask them to reallocate).

2) Look at setting up some type of automation that runs on a nightly/weekly basis that will move nodes to the correct polling engine based on an appropriate logic such as IP Range, Location, or maybe even just polling engine load.

Hope this helps - Good luck.

• Thanks David! This can definitely help us out.