cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

Rediscovering new Windows Volumes

Hi,

In our environment, everyday new volumes are aditioned in the Windows Servers.

Is there any way to rediscover this new volumes and assign these volumes in the servers ?

9 Replies

Would the new option available within the current releases of SAM/NPM work for you, where it is possible to use your AD topology to determine which servers get scanned.

Within the sonar discovery profile you define which AD groups contain the servers you wish to auto scan and when it runs it will do a live lookup to determine which devices then get included in the scan.

My colleague has created a blog post on this - Automatic Node Population & Application Assignment (Part 1) - Prosperon Networks

Mark Roberts

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg 

0 Kudos

Mark, thanks for the tip. This won't quite work for us as not all servers are in groups, some servers we don't want to monitor, etc. but I'm sure this wil be valuable info to others looking into this issue.

0 Kudos

Setting up a Scheduled Discovery is intended to allow for this,

Discover your network using SolarWinds NPM - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

This is a pretty poor option that requires us to keep a list of all server names/IPs in a list that be added to the discovery. There really needs to be an option for "all current nodes" or something so that this can actually be automated to some extent.

0 Kudos

You could fetch that information from your solarwinds database and to utilize for discovery. Further automate that with some Powershell too.. Discovery · solarwinds/OrionSDK Wiki · GitHub - but Out of the box, that would be a nice feature to have.

I would absolutely love to do this. Unfortunately I don't have any coding skills for this type of thing so while I know it's possible, I have no idea how to do it. I built a scheduled SQL report that just emails me my server IPs and I update the IP list in a saved discovery (GUI) and run that. If I could script this to happen automatically I would in a heartbeat.

0 Kudos

This is one of the absolute worst qualities of SAM/NPM.

Why it gets no traction to resolve is one of the many great mysteries of the universe.

0 Kudos

Agreed. Searching through thwack on this topic shows this has been a complaint for years. It seems like it would be such a simple function to implement. I just don't get it.

aLTeReGo​ seems to always know - are there any plans for this functionality in SAM?

0 Kudos

Yeah like bbowie says, if you want to automate it then you just pull the data from the API and build a "new" discovery each day/week/whatever, they have capabilities built in to even hide these discoveries from the GUI and to automatically delete them after they are finished.

Would be nice as a native feature, but most of the time when there is a gap in a Solarwinds feature you can often roll your own with the API.

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos