This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Recommended alerts for new installation

Is there a recommended set of alerts for an instalation. There are a great deal of alerts available and I want to understand if they are all needed?

Otherwise we get a lot of noise.

• Having a lab system, 30day eval is always free, to turn on all the alerts and see how they work is a great way to learn.

These are the ones I use or have built and rely on the most - looking forward to others input...

Node reboots

hardware health is critical (lists items in email)

interface, node, application down

I have added list of components down in the application down alert so I don't get an alert for every component

volume utilization  >90% (limited to fixed disk to ignore ram)

admin other then your list (names of your admin accounts) logs in- great audit tool

snmp lastsync > dateadd(minutes,-10,GetDate()) to find stale snmp nodes

volume or interface where responding = N to find orphan objects

nodes table joined to custompollerassignnent c where nodes.machinetype Like 'cisco%' AND c.custompollerassignmentID IS NULL (maybe also poller name if you apply multiple custom pollers)  to verify that your nodes have their custom pollers are applied.

Nodes not in groups if you organize that way- Some Things Solarwinds Admins Can't Live Without

• also try to make the alerts you have meaningful, I have these templates here that are colour coded html for email alerts

Alert Templates.zip

• Thanks so much for sharing these!!

I will remember you in my will.

Don