cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Recommendations on Training Videos for New SolarWinds tech

Jump to solution

I am looking for input on training videos for one of the other members of my team that is going to be working with me in SolarWinds. I have been going over the SolarWinds site and Thwack and have a bunch of videos and links but just looking for input to see what others have done if anything.  This is what I was thinking about for training materials.

1. Start with Orion that way they can understand the foundation that SW is built on.

2. Nodes - go over what a node is and how to add a node.

3. Alerting - what is alerting and how to configure a basic alert

4. SAM - go over the what SAM is and how it works.

At this point I am just working on this - we have DPA, VIM, NCM, VNQM, etc... but want to focus on Orion and alerting basics.  Thanks! 

1 Solution
Level 17

Hey, welcome to you and your team on your solarwinds journey!

I agree (in a somewhat selfish way) that SolarWinds Lab is a great way to get started. Some episodes you can look at include this one, that focuses on alerts:

All About Alerts - SolarWinds Lab #42 - YouTube

I'm a big believer at making sure you have solid fundamentals. The "beginners" series of ebooks we've created (Monitoring 101 ebook , Monitoring 201  ,Automation, Not ArtNetwork Monitoring for Dummies , Systems Monitoring for Dummies® eBook  ) were all leveraged into solarwinds lab episodes.

Monitoring 101 - SolarWinds Lab #37 - YouTube

Monitoring 102: Class Continues - SolarWinds Lab #41 - YouTube

Monitoring 201: Beyond the Basics - SolarWinds Lab #54 - YouTube

And also we have "mini labs" - segments from the larger episode that present a single topic. Examples:

SolarWinds Mini Lab: What is SNMP? - YouTube

SolarWinds Mini Lab: What is NetFlow? - YouTube

SolarWinds Mini Lab: Understanding Config Backups - YouTube

SolarWinds Mini Lab: Alert Philosophy - Separating the Signal From the Noise - YouTube

You should also check out the videos and training available to you on our Customer Success Center (http://support.solarwinds.com/)

This getting started guide by CourtesyIT​ is a starting point for many a new monitoring engineer:

Welcome to Solarwinds...........

...as is this post by jkuvlesk

New SolarWinds Customer? Here are some guides to get you started.

Hope that helps.

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------
"Measure what is measurable,
and make measurable what is not so." - Gallileo

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Level 17

Hey, welcome to you and your team on your solarwinds journey!

I agree (in a somewhat selfish way) that SolarWinds Lab is a great way to get started. Some episodes you can look at include this one, that focuses on alerts:

All About Alerts - SolarWinds Lab #42 - YouTube

I'm a big believer at making sure you have solid fundamentals. The "beginners" series of ebooks we've created (Monitoring 101 ebook , Monitoring 201  ,Automation, Not ArtNetwork Monitoring for Dummies , Systems Monitoring for Dummies® eBook  ) were all leveraged into solarwinds lab episodes.

Monitoring 101 - SolarWinds Lab #37 - YouTube

Monitoring 102: Class Continues - SolarWinds Lab #41 - YouTube

Monitoring 201: Beyond the Basics - SolarWinds Lab #54 - YouTube

And also we have "mini labs" - segments from the larger episode that present a single topic. Examples:

SolarWinds Mini Lab: What is SNMP? - YouTube

SolarWinds Mini Lab: What is NetFlow? - YouTube

SolarWinds Mini Lab: Understanding Config Backups - YouTube

SolarWinds Mini Lab: Alert Philosophy - Separating the Signal From the Noise - YouTube

You should also check out the videos and training available to you on our Customer Success Center (http://support.solarwinds.com/)

This getting started guide by CourtesyIT​ is a starting point for many a new monitoring engineer:

Welcome to Solarwinds...........

...as is this post by jkuvlesk

New SolarWinds Customer? Here are some guides to get you started.

Hope that helps.

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------
"Measure what is measurable,
and make measurable what is not so." - Gallileo

View solution in original post

Oh yeah helped me out quite a bit and also a bunch of those are what I picked before receiving all this input so I must have been on the right track.  I had not read the ebooks before and they were very enlightening!  Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
Level 9

If they have access (an ID) for the Customer Portal, get them setup for some of the Virtual Classrooms.  The "configuring the Orion Platform" is a good one.  There are both Live (online) and on-demand (recorded) versions.   I liked the live version because the instructor was answering specific questions from the attendees and even tailored the latter part of the class to specific issues.

Network Performance Monitor (NPM) Training - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Virtual Classrooms | SolarWinds Customer Portal

Level 8

If you both already have the product then add him to the customer portal and/or sign up for the online classroom. As I found these very helpful, but I will say have the person watch the labs so they have an idea of what can be done first. As Orion and Solarwinds offerings are very vast in what they can do.

Probably the best ones are the solarwinds labs, sometimes a little bit goofy but more often than not they have pretty solid info and demos on good techniques.  I can't recommend any in particular because my plane is going to take off soon but hopefully you can find something useful there.

SolarWinds Lab

- Marc Netterfield, Github