cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Recieve alerts about enviroment from Router

Jump to solution

What I would like to know is how to get alerts from a CISCO router when a FAN goes bad and High tempature. I am sure there must be a way to get this somehow. I currently get alerts from SolarWinds on down nodes and so on. But I ahve been bittin twice where I didn't know fan went bad in a router.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Dave P

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Set the alert to trigger if the value is greater than 1 - that way when you have anything being collected greater than the '1' condition, you will get an alert.

You ~could build an alert for each condition if you wanted to take it that far.

Alert 1: At value = 2 - send alert that says warning

Alert 2: at value = 3 - send alert critical

Alert greater than 3 - send alert failure.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 13

Dave,

What you're looking for is the Universal Device Poller in NPM.  With it, you can poll almost any OID on the device.   We even ship with a temperature and fan state pollers as our samples.  They may not be the specific ones you need, but it should get you started.

Thanks,

Casey

Dave,

Use the Universal Device Poller tool on the Orion server to find, test, and assign the OIDs you want to trigger alerts with, then build the appropriate alert using Advanced Alerts. In the alert you will want to define both the custom poller you assigned, and the desired value (rate, total, etc...) in your trigger.

You can also use the MIB Walk tool in the Engineers Toolset (tool is enabled in the demo version) to see what MIBs/OIDs are available to poll on a particular device. I typically use both tools when I go MIB hunting.

I am trying to set up the trigger now in the alerts. I am unsure what to set for it. According to the OID description a value of 1 is good but 2-5 are bad.  So I am trying to get the right setting so it will alert me if the value is 2-5 I have it displayed on the webpage already. Below are the settings.

Thanks

Dave

1:normal
2:warning
3:critical
4:shutdown
5:notPresent
6:notFunctioning

0 Kudos

Set the alert to trigger if the value is greater than 1 - that way when you have anything being collected greater than the '1' condition, you will get an alert.

You ~could build an alert for each condition if you wanted to take it that far.

Alert 1: At value = 2 - send alert that says warning

Alert 2: at value = 3 - send alert critical

Alert greater than 3 - send alert failure.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

I am looking in NPM and I cannot find the Universal Polling tool.. I am on the server. Could it not be added in. Is it a plugin for this componet?

0 Kudos

Sorry I found it. I am going through it now.

0 Kudos

Ok so this poller "ciscoenvmonfanstate" I am tring to figure out exactly what it does. WIll this tell me if a fan goes out? Like say Fan2 goes out?

0 Kudos