This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Random Packet loss

Recently upgraded to NPM 12 and am getting random packet loss for random devices.

Using sniffers and packet captures i can see the pings and replys so i assume the application is not handling it well.

several devices . will go into a warning state due to packet loss.. though it never gets to alert stage because it goes away within a minute.

has anyone else with npm 12 seen random packet loss on devices being reported though it is a false positive ....

• The first thing i would do is select a device and check for crc errors on the device. That will tell you immediately if the data is valid on npm. I would also use the netpath tool to trace the route to determine if the packet loss is occurring on the device or the route to the device.

• I have a ticket open with support as it looks to be related to netpath... so far it seems that netpath when a path is being checked is broadcasting a lot of arp requests within a millisecond for the default gateway of the poller that it is on.... this is looks to be getting dropped by COPP policies on our nexus gear.  this in turn is showing up like packet loss on nodes as icmp packets are then dropped/ not received   will update when i have more information... we have applied the hotfix 2 and still have the problem.

2016-09-17_174035.png

• Ah, then i would turn off live mode in netpath and see does the same behavior happen.