This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question about adding multiple devices to Orion NPM

The method we are following currently for adding devices to Orion NPM is to add each device individually.  We do this since this seems to be the best way to select "only" the resources that we actually wish to monitor for each device.  We tried using the Network Sonar Discovery, but it does not seem to allow us to select individual resources for each of the discovered devices.  So, adding devices to Orion NPM is very time-consuming, which makes a lot of the people in my team cringe when they need to cover for me. 

I read the Orion NPM Administration Guide but I do not seem to find a way to add multiple devices at once while also selecting the specific devices to monitor.  Of course, perhaps I do need to get my eyes checked.  ;-)   Anyway, I would like to know how are you dealing with these issues.  If you have any suggestions, I welcome those too.  Thanks in advance.

• I add devices utilizing the "Bulk Upload" in the Network Sonar. I then select all the volumes, interfaces etc... Yes this adds more than I would want....so the next thing i do is go through the Node Management page and remove the extra resources orion picked up. I find removing extra resources is much less time consuming than adding each node individually.

• Julrich,  thanks for your answer on this issue.  Yes, it is more work than I wanted, so I will need to weigh in how much work it turns out to be.  I am hoping that the Orion developers are checking this thread, so they'll improve the Bulk Upload.  It would be REALLY nice for this feature to allow us to select (or unselect) specific interfaces or resources for discovered devices. Anyway, again, many thanks!!!

• This is something on our list for sure.  In the meantime, not sure if you have seen this or not