cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

QoS Monitoring

I would like to have cbQoS monitoring in Orion. This has been asked for in several posts including:

Some of these posts ask for QoS monitoring in the VoIP module forums but QoS isn't necessarily used only for VoIP. Perhaps there could be a QoS module and the same functionality could be rolled up into the VoIP module for those that already own that. I feel that QoS monitoring should be an option separate from the IP SLA monitoring since not everyone that uses QoS needs or uses IP SLA.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Level 10

I completely agree.  This is a fairly critical item for us which may result in the use of another tool to compensate for a horribly manual configuration across many routers with multiple queues.

0 Kudos

I agree as well. It is not feasible in my environment to create custom pollers for each QoS statistic. We are looking at adding the Netflow module and I have read in other posts that this might be an option for monitoring QoS.

Is Neflow the best option or are there any plans in the works for a QoS monitoring?

0 Kudos

We are looking at supporting CBQoS in a release this year.

What would be GREAT for me is if you can give me as much specific information about what you expect to be able to do, what your use case is. Let me know if you would be willing to talk to me directly about this too!

Andy

0 Kudos

Andy,

Did you get the feedback you were looking for?

0 Kudos

Hi Jordan,

I can always use more feedback! Do you use CBQoS? If so, what are the top things you would want to monitor?

Andy

0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

I am also very interested in seeing this functionality built into Orion instead of having to hack it together with the custom poller. The items I would like to see would be the class-map name and description assigned o each interface, the drop rate, the total drops, and the offered rate per class-map.

Also, for the LLQ or strict priority queue a comparison of the bandwidth to the ofered rate so that alerting could be configured to trigger when the offered rate is at, for example, 80% of the configured bandwidth fo the LLQ.

You mentioned you were targetting 2009 for release of the functionality, is that still the target and do you have a better feel for what month this may be released?

0 Kudos

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

We are looking at releasing this feature set about mid year.

Andy

0 Kudos

Andy,

Any more info about this?  Can you provide dates maybe. 

Thanks

0 Kudos

If you are on 3.1 and under maintenance you can preview it now,

0 Kudos

We are under maintenance but didn't follow you with the 3.1?  Is this going to run on NPM?  Currently we are run 9.1 SP5 NPM.

0 Kudos

I see. This feature is actually implemented in our NTA module. So you would have to have NTA 3.1 also in maintenance.

0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

I was just reviewing this post when I recalled another way of monitoring the QOS queues on routers and switches.
There is a Cisco command which is applied either globally or to an interface that will export statistics for QoS queues:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_m2.html#wp1015073

I have not yet had a chance to play with this, but I think SolarWinds is the company that could write an app to make this information useful.
It could be written to a DB and graphed along with the interface details statistics or as a separate module in VoiP Monitor.

Normally this data is written to a Syslog server, but it could be written to a custom UDP port which handles only QoS exports which are written to the DB.

mls qos statistics-export destination

To configure the quality of service (QoS)-statistics data-export destination host and User Datagram Protocol (UDP) port number, use the mls qos statistics-export destination command in global configuration mode.

Command Default

The default is none unless syslog is specified. If syslog is specified, the defaults are as follows:

port is 514.

facility is local6.

severity is debug.

0 Kudos

We use CBQoS.  If his could be built into NPM directly that would be best since it is  valuable to everyone..not just VOIP module users. 

The type of info I would like would be # of packets in each queue, packet drops.  If there is  a way to pull configuration info as far as the percentage of the link given to each queue, etc.  The main thing is getting the queue names mapped to the amount of traffic and drops occuring in each queue.

0 Kudos

By Que name are you refering to traffic classes?

0 Kudos

Correct.

0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

I'd like to discuss this out of band a little. I could not find your email address on your Thwack profile.

Andy

0 Kudos

Profile updated...let me know.

0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

With regards to the release of Orion CBQoS, will this be an add-on module to NPM or will it be part of an existing Solarwinds module such as VOIP Monitoring or NTA next version up?

Reason for my question is because we are looking to purchase NPM, NTA and NCM in the next 2 months and my manager dont want to have to upgrade our newly purchase application so we can have this CBQoS feature.

Hope to hear from you soon. Please PM me to talk further about your upcoming QOS app. I will be happy to talk to you directly about our requirements.

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos