This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Proper way to group nodes for Parent/Child dependencies

Since the auto dependency is not getting the right paths what is the best way to set up Parent/Child connections?  Below is some details on how our network is setup.

We have 30 Sites - each site has 1 or more WAN Routers connected to core switches that are connected to the rest of the equipment.  I have setup two custom properties for each node.  One is Site which is the city name of the devices location and two is Priority with the rating of 1,2,3,4, 1 being high priority to page on call.  Priority for alerting so we can build custom alerts for different priority devices.  WAN routers, Core Switches, Firewalls, Wireless Controllers and Voice Gateways are all priority 1 devices and we will be auto creating incident tickets with our service now system but what I'm trying to avoid is getting P1 alerts with tickets for downed nodes that are down due to the parent node being down.  I want to setup proper parent/child dependencies but not sure what's the best approach?

Example of our site structure.  Devices between the brackets () are Priority 1 devices and if they go down we will have an incident ticket created.

Site 1
- (WAN Routers --> Core Switches --> FW, WLC, VGW, User Stack Switches), Other switches

Site 2
- (WAN Routers --> Core Switches --> FW, WLC, VGW, User Stack Switches), Other switches

Site 3

• HI rph​,

If you are still interested in knowing its answer, then you can group all the devices in '()' in one group (Parent Group), with rollup status as Worst and put rest of the switches and servers in another group (Child Group) with rollup status as mixed.