cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Product Suggestion to Head Geek/Solarwinds Team w/Questions

It would be good if there was a limited (~5 device limit) version of Orion NPM that us engineers could use to run in our labs, in dev environments, for testing, training, upgrade testing - etc.

Or is there?  I know there is a 30 day trial, but for SCP training, dev. environments that you wish to keep alive for more than 30 days, etc. - what is the process to relicense - reinstall?

This is why I think there would be a good space for an "Engineers/Consultants" version of the NPM tool.  If it came pre-packaged with demo data inside, it could also be used for client demos on a laptop.

Maybe an appliance VM?

Thanks

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Level 12

I would love a LAB version. All our upgrades/hotfix's should be tested before applying to live, so this would improve my chances of applying upgrades into live.

As others have said a limited version linked to your main license ie if you have an sl100 you get 5, sl250 you get 15, slx you get 30 sort of thing....

Being able to test new modules that you havnt purchased yet on the lab version would be great too, so you dont have to build entire trial systems and can use exisiitng devices in the lab npm

0 Kudos

There's been some discussion about a lab version in the "Whats in the SCP welcome kit" thread too. Maintaining familiarity when working on other kit is essential for a consultant/contractor & the only way to do this is to practise and experiment in our home labs. Currently my main client has every module going, twice, plus 6 additional engines installed across 3 sites. Building a Change Request and supporting documentation for a major upgrade must include multi-engine test environment and a real-world SQL, so the SQL Express option does not do it for me, but the new licencing process may well be useful in producing a mini NPM, APM, etc to support a mini additional polling engine. This would be so useful to run as experience, training, teaching, demo-ing and to produce the client specific procedures for Change Controls

0 Kudos
Level 8

Add me in for this idea as well. At present we have to do eval, hotfix, SP's etc in production and it's not ideal at all.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

well, i think i have been added long ago as I requested this when I started using Orion and was requested to update all the time...

hope this will be available and for free for existing customers.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Add me to this thread.... would LOVE to have a small scale, lab copy of the products I have licenses for. This will greatly increase producitivty and faciliate testing of new versions as well as allow us to develop on the non-production network (they frown on testing on a live network).

0 Kudos

yea... i have also requested something like a lab copy...

good for trying out new versions, service packs, hotfixes, release candidates before deploying them or to mess around with, train colleagues on it and let them try stuff on there freely as well without damaging the production system...

for me, something like AL20, SL20, etc. would be fine!

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Would 5 devices be enough for you to do upgrade testing etc.?  Right now you are correct we have the 30 day evaluation.

We have discussed internally a lab edition, but nothing committed.

0 Kudos

It's been a while since there have been any updates on this thread.  I am curious if SolarWinds has spent any more time considering the idea of a "Lab Edition" for their software?

I find myself once again in a situation where having this available to me would be infinitely beneficial, aside from the obvious keeping up to speed on the products for my SCP.

0 Kudos

I would also like to see a lab addition for customers who already have the SLX version at least for up to lets just say 100 elements in total. This would help in applying upgrades and service packs to appease upper management and me not having to fear of something going wrong in production.

0 Kudos

maybe something like 10nodes with a maximum history of 30days and limited to only local sql server database?

of course having all modules for that, all limited would be very nice...

IPAM for example with only on demand scanning and a maximum of 200IPs, IPSLA with only 5devices and a maximum of 20operations, Netflow for only one interface and history of 2days, etc.

maybe some limited version only for SCPs as well? 😃

I would also appreciate some easier way to be able to try out modules for orion, say I want to show my manager NTA and he does not like it, I can just deactivate it (so it is removed from the system) and with permission from solarwinds get a new trial license key where I would not need to install NTA on a different server because I already trialled there before... also once we want to go from trial to productive that we can just enter a permanent license key without re-installing. (not sure if it doesnt already work that way as I havent tried it out)

0 Kudos

Thanks for the posts everyone.  Just FYI, we're moving Orion to the new licensing later this year, which will provide us the ability to control license count using an activation key versus a separate build which will make this "lab license tier" idea much more do-able.

If there are others interested, please keep them coming with an explanation of what you'd use it for to help us prioritize.

0 Kudos

I was curious if there has been any more consideration on the possibility of this Lab Edition of the SW software for currently licensed customers?

0 Kudos

+1 for a test lab version.  When we do updates, we do it on our live systems and cross our fingers.  In the past it's been one service pack after another until we are completely happy.  We've been on a certain version for a while now since it is stable and we are afraid of upgrading.  We've gone through a lot of frustration with things breaking in the last few years during upgrades.  If we had the ability to test updates in a controlled environment before pushing out to production, it would be ideal and more people around here would be comfortable upgrading more often.

0 Kudos

add me on this "lab license tier" idea

0 Kudos

I would like to see a lab version as well.  Currently, our 'lab' environment consists of a VM server that runs on my desktop machine.  If I want to eval a new module, I install an eval version of Orion and then an eval version of the module.  I then add and configure nodes, etc to get the install populated with enough devices to make the eval worthwhile. Having a lab version for testing and training purposes would be incredibly helpful. 

0 Kudos

Yup. I'd like to see this included for customers with a support licence as well please. It'd make keeping SW in our environment an easier argument.

0 Kudos

I would be very interseted in a LAB version of the product. In my organisation it is extremely difficult to push through the upgrades and hot fixes.

Reason for this is they want to see a proof of concept before proceeding with the updates, and they want to see the POC done on a replicated environment as close to the current operating environment as possible.

0 Kudos

Solarwinds???? Are you listening???

0 Kudos

Yep, if you look above you will see I posted on this topic yesterday

0 Kudos

Thanks Brandon! 🙂

0 Kudos