This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Process for Updating/Upgrading Orion Products with Additional Poller and Web

I have the following products installed across a Main Engine, an Additional Poller and an Additional Web Server:

NPM, SAM, NTA, NCM, IPAM, VNQM

I generally wait to do updates until there are a few updates available, but the process is so tedious based on the install guides:

1. install product on main engine (15-20 minutes with the config wizard)
  2. Install on additional Poller (10 minutes)
  3. Install on Additional Web Server (10 minutes)

It takes a long time to do this in a serial fashion for all the Products I'm updating, which is usually at least two.

Is there a faster way to update/upgrade the Orion Products that this?

• no :-(

I have NPM, NTA, IPAM, UDT, NCM, with four additional pollers and Failover installed.

Our record time for Upgrading one product (NPM) from 10.5 to 10.6.1 is 105 minutes -- we have decided to only upgrade one product at a time.

I would really like to be able to:

a) install on app server

b) have it push out the additional components to the servers it talks to

c) have it restart the components on those servers as they are upgraded

pretty much like this: Simplifying Setup of In Service Software Upgrade - YouTube

(I especially like the part about having more time for beer drinking.)

This would be the coolest SW command ever:

C:\> swissu changeversion 10.7 that upgrades all of my servers from the master app server

• Yeah, that's what I was expecting.  I had talked to support a while back and that's basically what they said, but I was hoping that there might be someone out that that had a quicker process.  It took me 2 hours to run minor updates for NPM, SAM and NCM across my Main, Poller and Web servers the other day.  I wish there was a faster process. 

• Support turned me on to an easier way to perform multiple upgrades.  If you use the Additional Poller and Web Bundles you can save yourself time on the Additional Poller and Web Servers.  I originally though that those bundles were just an easy way to download multiple products at the same time.  It turns out that these installers check your main poller to see what's installed, upgrade any components that need upgrading and then run one config wizard at the end to roll up all the changes into one.  Since the Config wizard is usually the process the takes the longest amount of time, this can be a real time saver.

I tried it out today with VNQM and NCM updates and it worked really well.  Here's the process that you'd have to follow:

1. Install all product updates on your Main Poller (Say NPM, SAM and NCM)
    2. Run the Additional Poller bundle executable.  It should see the 3 new products, upgrade them all and then run one Config Wizard
    3. Run the Additional Web bundle executable.  It should see the 3 new products, upgrade them all and then run one Config Wizard

Of course this only helps you out when you are performing multiple product updates.  If you are run running one product update, it's probably easier to just download the regular installers and use the regular upgrade process.

I'm definitely going to use the bundles from now on when I'm performing multiple updates during a maintenance window.